Poor Knights Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just had a day of diving up at the Poor Knights Islands Marine reserve which is situated off the east coast of Northland New Zealand.
Wow what a fantastic day. 4 of us (myself, Teresa from Adventure watersports Manukau, Azza from SB and his wife Katie) went out with the crew of Shadowfax, Martin who owns the charter with his wife Jill, Jamie the DM and Llwy the skipper.
Their boat is a brand new custom built 11 meter cat with twin 250hp Yamahas and we were told one of the fastest charter boats out of Tutukaka. Well Martin did say the fastest but dont they all say that :)
This is one very nice dive boat! It has a 4.3 meter beam which makes it very spacious.
Currently it is only surveyed for 10 divers and 3 crew which means even when its full there is still plenty of room to move. There is also 2 foward double cabins if you need a bit of a liedown after a hard dive.
Our first dive was on a reef that was about 5-6 meters below the surface and dropped down to below 50 meters.I cant remember the name of the site but hopefully Azza will. The vis was about 10-15 meters which isnt great for the Knights but twice what I am used to. We saw a few small morays, snapper, demmisols, red and blue moki etc.
The second dive was as blue maomao arch. This site was just full of life (and charter boats). Its a long swim tru tunnel that is between 5- 10 meters deep. The same speices were here as the previous site but we also saw butterfish, leatherjackets, Black angel fish, scorpion fish, green morays, 3 rays, Nudibranchs, wrass, pink mao mao and of course heaps of blue mao mao.
Unfortunatly my camera fogged up on the first dive but I managed to defogg it for the second and managed to shoot a hole batterys worth of photos. I was very disapointed at the end of the dive when I spotted a green and blue nudi and found my battery completely flat. Hopefully Teresa got some good photos of it.
After the dive we were offered a great selection of food and beverages as well.
We all had a fantastic day out and are planning a return trip with www.pkdive.co.nz .
They are offering FREE trips untill 8.1.2007 so if you can get in touch with Jill and book your spot now. After that they are taking the boat out of the water to make a few final touches to the boat. Hopefully it will only be in dry dock for a week because I for one want to get back out on it ASAP.
They are also offering trips to the Tui and Waikato wrecks and also along the Tutukaka coast for some hunting/ gathering. They also have some great accomdation avaliable for those who dont want to make the 2.5 hour drive from central Auckland(I was up at 4am!).
When I get a chance I will post some of the better pics on my web site. But for now I need to go get my tanks fulled for another weekend of diving.

sounds good pack.. i keep telling my boss i need to visit clients in NZ.. if it actually happens i will bring hubby to go diving (too cold for me)

looking forward to some pics

Wasn't cold at all. was 17deg C. OK that may be cold for over there but thats quite nice for here. Although it should get up to 21-22 deg by the end of summer.
Maybe you need to invest in a drysuit? If you guys do come over maybe you could join myself, my partner, Azza and Katie for a trip out with PKdive. They do a great accomodation deal too with a 3bedroom house for $300 a night ($50 each) with a spa pool and all.
As for the pics I need to do some clean up work on them. I really need to learn how to use the photo software. At the mo I just hit auto fix and hope for the best. :)

we did have 17dec a few days ago... my local forum all in a tiss and asking WHHYYYYYY so cold down here

hubby has a drysuit,... i prefer to travel to the tropics during that season :wink:

mmmmmmmm - spa sounds good!

sweet....are you using strobes Pack??? or is it because of the cold that it looks so clear?

Just spotted this thread. Just got back from Camping and am knackered.6 days of diving from dawn to dusk from a 5 metre tinny. Man I am sore but I think thats more from the spearfishing that than the scuba. Still didnt get a bloody Kingfish either.
Packhorse:
Our first dive was on a reef that was about 5-6 meters below the surface and dropped down to below 50 meters.I cant remember the name of the site but hopefully Azza will.
Freds Pinnicle. I love that site! I was watching the sounder as Llwy was running over the top. It was going from 76 metres to 13 metres to 66 metres.... ahhh i wish I had taken some deco bottles and left Katie at home...just kidding:D .

I was impressed with PKDive which is unusual...I normally takes a lot for a dive operation to impress me.

They were professional and fun and actually keener to dive than we were almost. I love that.
The boat was nice and roomy and they did ask us which sites we wanted to go to...unlike some others.

They also said they wanted to cater to the experienced divers as well which is great. I hate going on the cattle boats who anchor up at nice sheltered easy dive sites to cater soley to the newbies. This operation have said they will not put newbies on boats with experienced divers unless all parties are happy with that. This is superb news.

I think I have found my new Poor Knights bus driver...and Katie has agreed we can go up there at least once a month:D . I think she is sick of diving from our small boat:wink:

almitywife:
sounds good pack.. i keep telling my boss i need to visit clients in NZ.. if it actually happens i will bring hubby to go diving (too cold for me)
In Late January, February and Early March it can get up to 24 degrees. Its always around 2 degrees warmer than the mainland because it catches the tail of the East Auckland Current, which swings down from Lord Howe Island. This is why we also get some species of tropical fish that reside (although too cold for them to breed) there.

I have actually been diving in a wetsuit this last week and been fine. I forgot how much more flexible a wettie is compared to a drysuit and underwear. The last Scuba Dive I did in a wetsuit (apart from the last week) was 3 years or so ago.

I think you should dive here Almity. You will love it. Then we can all go out, and in the fine ANZAC tradition get merrily slaughtered, afterward :D

almitywife:
sweet....are you using strobes Pack??? or is it because of the cold that it looks so clear?
This is a bad days viz at the Poor Knights. Its 22 Nautical Miles off shore so is all blue water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom