Poor boy's light rig.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300winmag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just booked a 10 day package to Playa Del Carmen(in Sept)and intend on doing lots of diving with Reef Quest Divers again, last time I regretted not bringing a camera so I bought the Hero2 Outdoor edition and a bunch of goodies like the flip up filter(when it comes out), the new dive housing, LCD backpack and an extra battery. now the problem is.... Light.
In the past week I have spent about 24 hours total on the computer trying to find 2 wide angle lights that put out at least 600 lumens each. My budget is stupid small which limits me to flashlights to use as video lights. Every time I find something that could work either it's to expensive or not a wide angle. I have looked for diffusers in many cases but none are made for the right lights. The Laluz L800 is bang on except the price, at $200 each that's too much money right now. I was looking at these but at 11.5 beam angle and no diffuser I'm out of luck. I am used to using 18650 batteries for my land lights so battery selection is not a problem. I will be making a a rig with handles on it out of aluminum from work... Basically I've got everything down except the lights. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have this camera with 2 250 lumens big blue flash lights. Each has 30 some degree spread and they overlap in current configuration. Not the best solution but beats high priced video lights.
bonica_my_camera.jpg

yarik83: I wish 250 lumens for each light would be enough but it's just not there.
merxlin: Those are the lights I keep coming back to but I just can't afford them.

Thanx guy's but there's gotta be a more efficient way of doing this....

Send me a message when you find it! :)

I think there is a lot that can be done with natural light, filters, and post processing. Caribbean diving is most interesting shallower than 60' anyway, so a good filter might be all the budget can afford -- but it could be enough. But you've gotta have some light for night dives. And I think there is a bit of appeal to shooting night dives with a smaller beam angle, it more accurately represents how we dive. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

I use two of these with my Intova sport. Only 220 lumens each, but they get the job done.

Tovatec by Intova Mini Wide Angle 220 Lumens LED Torch

If you are going for the most bang for your buck, look at the Intova Sport HD... Everything GoPro has and more for about $300 less... Flat lense, LCD screen included in the $199 price. Red filter available. You might consider this camera and put your savings toward a couple of better lights, but I seriously doubt you'd need them. The sport handles lower light better than GoPro.

For $54 each, you can mount 4-6 of them. CR123 batteries can be found on line for $1 each...

Your problem with "repurposed" lights is always the hotspot center. For real jury rig, I was using Light Cannon type lights with the thin cover that seals yogurt as the diffuser. That worked fine.

Those 1000 lumen DRIS lights are BRIGHT, but big and heavy compared to your GoPro (I have one). There was a suggestion to remove the reflector in them to widen the beam (those TecDiveGear mini video lights have no reflectors), and if that works they would be awesome! I'm not gonna try it with mine though.

It's not just the lumens, but the beam................

Sola 600 lumen lights, $300 each. nice wide soft beam. Kicks butt over a hot spot beam like a Light Canon or Aquasun or other pentration light, you want wide and soft.

packaging is stellar, sealed battery, awesome intutitve controls. kick assss bright. quick to recharge.

the Sola 600 is the bottom scale, DON:T get the 500, they also have 800's and 1,200's and up. = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

but for $300 a lamp, you can't go wrong:

Light and Motion Sola Dive 600 LED Scuba Diving/Video Light | eBay

Back
Top Bottom