Pool Session #5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dotyj

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:

I made it through pool session #5 today. My second instructor knowing that the last time I did a reverse water entry I more fell in the pool diagnally rather than rolling over backwards had me do it again. This time though I sat on one of those Rubber Maid style storage bins so I could keep my feet in front of me without falling over backwards. This also put me 18 inches higher than the pool water.

I got all kitted up, then discovered that my inflator was stuck. The bcd kept slowly inflating. Too bad too, it was a brand new bcd. Oh well, we disconnected the LP hose and I inflated it manually.

I then slid back a little, stuck my right hand over my mask and reg and held my console to my stomache with my left hand. I leaned back, and splash! Perfect entry.

Other than sitting on a raised platform, what really helped was wearing the AL80 tank. It's tall enough that I can get strapped up into the bcd with the tank resting on it's bottom rather than trying to maintain my balance while attempting to lean forward and carry the weight of the tank.

I got squared away at the surface, decided I didn't have enough weight and got a heavier weight belt from the instructor. 18 pounds instead of the 12 pound belt I had on. So we used this oppotunity to practice replacing the weight belt at the surface. I did pretty well, but have a difficult time with 18 pounds of weight, plus the belt was a bit short and we had to lengthen it before I could buckle it. No biggy though.

I practice manual bcd inflation then we descended to the bottom of the pool. First we practiced weight belt removal and replacement.

Man don't try this at home! My instructor had to hang onto me and I really struggled to put the weight belt back on, but after a minute or so of negotiating with the weight belt, it decided to give in and allow me to wear it.

I did awesome doffing and donning the scuba unit. I got help lining up the shoulder straps (Help is allowed) but otherwise did fine.

Back at the surface (Manual bcd inflation time, boy am I glad they made me practice that.) I removed and replaced the scuba unit again. It took me two attempts to put the scuba unit on. I was able to sit on the tank okay, but it took two attempts to get my arms through the shoulder straps, then I laid on my back and put the waist strap back on. Wow, that was easy.

I took the bcd off again, then got help with the fins and I was out of the water. Short but sweet. An easy session that we would probably have done last week if there'd been time.

So next weekend, I get together with my friend Tim and the instructor for skills review and so Tim sees what things I do a bit differently than an able bodied diver. I don't know yet if we'll take care of it all in that session or if we'll do multiple post pool session gatherings, but I'll take the time I need. This isn't a race.

Then it'll be time to schedule some boat time! Yeah. I'm sure I'll be warm in the water, but think the boat trip will be cold. Brrrr.

Oh, and I had the ScubaPro Jet Fins (split fins) back today and they'e all mine....YES!!! I'm a happy camper.

I almost put the fins on outside our front door so that when I came in I could tell Cassi "Damned, it's hard to drive in these things!" :)

Thanks for reading gang.

James,

Nice progress! I can't wait for your open water dives!!!!

Hi Detroit Diver:

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming OW dives.

We had a club meeting last night. There were at least a dozen people there.

My instructor brought out a DPV that they just took delivery of. Topics of discussion were the DPV and Nitrox diving.

Anyway, my instructor said they were getting four DPVs for the shop and that they would start renting them out to people who've been trained in their use.

My instructor also said that I'd be one of the first to use the DPV he brought to the meeting and that I would do so on my first OW dive session which will be sometime next month at the rate I'm progressing.

So at this point I'm looking at a few more pool sessions. I still have to learn to use a drysuit, and now a DPV.

This is very exciting. I've always been into gadgets and technical hobbies such as ham radio, and do IT work for a living so I'm having a ball learning to dive. I'm going to love learning to and diving with a DPV.

I was excitedly telling Cassi (SWMBO) about the DPV but she seemed unimpressed dispite my enthousiasm (sp?).

Tomorrow I do a pool dive with my friend Tim. I'll post the results this weekend.

detroit diver once bubbled...
James,

Nice progress! I can't wait for your open water dives!!!!

Just a note of caution. Getting used to a drysuit is not as easy as it sounds. Good bouyancy is very tough to master.

I guess what I'm saying is to take it slow and don't add too much too fast. A scooter can be a lot of fun, but can also get you into situations that you're not ready for.

In any case-have fun!

Not bad, not only do you get to be OW certified, but also dry suit and Scooter before you even get done with OW. Can't beat that with a stick. Good luck on your upcomming pool sessions and OW dives. You'll love it. The PNW has lots of neat aquatic life and lots of things to see, just be ready to not see very far. Our vis sucks.

I guess it's a good thing vis around here is often so bad. Otherwise I'd need prescription lens. :)

My training has be awesome.

Thanks for the reply Will.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
Not bad, not only do you get to be OW certified, but also dry suit and Scooter before you even get done with OW. Can't beat that with a stick. Good luck on your upcomming pool sessions and OW dives. You'll love it. The PNW has lots of neat aquatic life and lots of things to see, just be ready to not see very far. Our vis sucks.

Hi Detroit Diver:

You are absolutely right. I hear it does take some work to learn to control buoyancy in a drysuit and I'll take any amount of time that is necessary to learn proper drysuit use.

My arms and legs are so damned skinny from muscular attrophy that I don't have any choice in the matter though. I'll be too cold very quickly diving wet.

The DPV presents some problems as well. It's capable of 3 knotts which can really lead to trouble if I'm not paying attention to depth, rate of ascent, and such.

Also, you've got to keep an eye on the battery meter. Trust me. After 25 years of powerchair use, I'm a pro when it comes to monitoring battery usage. I no more want to lug 55 pounds of DPV gear around underwater than I want to get out of my powerchair and push it around on my knees.

Another concern about using the DPV is that you can suffer from the same problem I have with using a powerchair in the winter time.

Driving a powerchair requires very little effort. That's the idea behind their use. Consiquently, if it's cold out, I get really cold because I'm not excerting myself physically. This isn't really good underwater either. I'd better make sure I'm dressed warm or it's gonna be a really cold dive.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Just a note of caution. Getting used to a drysuit is not as easy as it sounds. Good bouyancy is very tough to master.

I guess what I'm saying is to take it slow and don't add too much too fast. A scooter can be a lot of fun, but can also get you into situations that you're not ready for.

My instructor said I'd face some interesting challenges and I believed him. Good thing too.

In any case-have fun!

Once you learn to dive dry, you'll wonder why anyone dives wet!!!

Back
Top Bottom