Question Pool Practice Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you get your buoyancy and trim sorted, I'd practice deploying a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB, or "safety sausage"). A good skill to have anywhere, but especially important drift diving in places like Southeast Florida or Cozumel -- shoot the DSMB before your safety stop, and the boat should be waiting when you surface. There are many videos on YouTube, but I like this one as being brief and to the point (remember when you release it to have it out far enough that it doesn't snag on your snorkel or other gear):

P.S.: Just saw your new post. Yes, if you've got the itch now, you should fly to Florida or Mexico to do your check out dives.

What you’re describing is apparently incredibly rare due to liability issues.

I clearly had no idea and either I'm not explaining my specific situation correctly or it really is. Either way...I'll talk to the owner before I do it again and make sure everything is kosher. Assuming I haven't flown to Florida before Christmas and this is all mute.

Once you get your buoyancy and trim sorted, I'd practice deploying a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB, or "safety sausage"). A good skill to have anywhere, but especially important drift diving in places like Southeast Florida or Cozumel -- shoot the DSMB before your safety stop, and the boat should be waiting when you surface. There are many videos on YouTube, but I like this one as being brief and to the point (remember when you release it to have it out far enough that it doesn't snag on your snorkel or other gear):

P.S.: Just saw your new post. Yes, if you've got the itch now, you should fly to Florida or Mexico to do your check out dives.

Have done this with an instructor in the pool, and they have several I can borrow so it's on the list!

Been looking for a quality YouTube video on the topic so thanks for the link!

ps - How the heck is he staying stationary on every breath?! That's the part I can't wrap my brain around in the pool. Every time I inhale or exhale there is some movement up or down. Even when I'm doing nothing but focusing on breath control.

Maybe skip the burning boat drill until you are certified, for the shop's liability sake.

I'm neither an instructor nor a lawyer..., but, shallow end while class is in the water, with an instructor watching the water from the deck does not sound solo to me. Assuming it is a normal smallish shop pool not an olympic sized one.

Ability to use a shop pool is great. I would treat it with due care.

PS: sidemount rocks. And if you time the in breath as you start to sink and the out breath as you start to rise, you stay in one place.

Under PADI and SDI , you are a student diver. A student diver must be directly supervised by an instructor, meaning in the water, not standing on a deck. I do not know the standards for SSI or NAUI.

Maybe skip the burning boat drill until you are certified, for the shop's liability sake.

Clearly :) - Though that does sound fun after certification.

I'm neither an instructor nor a lawyer..., but, shallow end while class is in the water, with an instructor watching the water from the deck does not sound solo to me. Assuming it is a normal smallish shop pool not an olympic sized one.

It's smaller than the pool I have at my house. More than say 5 divers at the deep end at once and elbows would be in faces. It's actually also used for water therapy so it has a ramp for entry on the shallow end too.

Ability to use a shop pool is great. I would treat it with due care.

I know this shop. Been in the pool a few years back. Pool is small. Steep sloping bottom from about 3-3.5ft to 9ft. There’s a big window between the retail space and pool area and a door, too.

ps - How the heck is he staying stationary on every breath?! That's the part I can't wrap my brain around in the pool. Every time I inhale or exhale there is some movement up or down. Even when I'm doing nothing but focusing on breath control.
No doubt this guy's trim/buoyancy control are great -- I'm not quite so graceful! For me, once I inflate the DSMB I like to release it before inhaling again, just to avoid ascending (though, as in the video, it's possible to take small breaths without ascending). I also mentally prepare myself to swim down if need be. DSMB deployment is not rocket science, but I have seen a number of scenarios where it caused a diver to go up too fast -- when in doubt, let go of it (and if snagged be prepared with your line cutter).

I know this shop. Been in the pool a few years back. Pool is small. Steep sloping bottom from about 3-3.5ft to 9ft. There’s a big window between the retail space and pool area and a door, too.

I figured you knew the shop. Actually 2 doors (one to retail and one to the air/rental gear locker) as well as cameras. Here I thought this was the shop being awesome and instead I could be putting them at risk. Argh.

Work on bouyancy. Shallow is harder so get it perfected there.

Once you get your bouyancy down start doing all your skills while neutral, get them all mastered while maintaining neutral bouyancy.

Find a mentor or instructor and start learning the alternative finning techniques.

Note with that much pool exposure wet your gear throughly with freshwater each time prior to getting in and rinse very well after getting out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom