Question Pool Practice Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a check list makes it seem rather complicated, that's all.
It is not so much a check list as it is a chance to indicate which skills you are not yet comfortable with.

It is not so much a check list as it is a chance to indicate which skills you are not yet comfortable with.
I get that, I was being factitious.

An insufficient task load for what I'm trying to achieve. You indicated that it results in frustration and is demeaning. I disagree. Someone else even commented that they liked the idea.

We instructors teach in a variety of ways and have varying degrees of success. I am quite cautious in what I introduce outside of the performance requirements. While open water is challenging, it is to be fun and all the "games" for improving buoyancy control and other skills must always be fun or at least, not unpleasant. It is one thing to tell a person something, it is another to experience it. Hovering while writing is an attention consuming skill. However, as I stated earlier, the student is to stop writing and consciously reestablish their buoyancy as needed. They will be told it will be very hard to do. And I'm right there with them.

An insufficient task load for what I'm trying to achieve. You indicated that it results in frustration and is demeaning. I disagree. Someone else even commented that they liked the idea.

We instructors teach in a variety of ways and have varying degrees of success. I am quite cautious in what I introduce outside of the performance requirements. While open water is challenging, it is to be fun and all the "games" for improving buoyancy control and other skills must always be fun or at least, not unpleasant. It is one thing to tell a person something, it is another to experience it. Hovering while writing is an attention consuming skill. However, as I stated earlier, the student is to stop writing and consciously reestablish their buoyancy as needed. They will be told it will be very hard to do. And I'm right there with them.
You write this as if you have not yet tried it. I have already tried the skill slate and have found it sufficiently challenging to accomplish the purpose of distracting the student from 100% attention on hovering. I'll be interested to read your report once you have tried your version.

You write this as if you have not yet tried it. I have already tried the skill slate and have found it sufficiently challenging to accomplish the purpose of distracting the student from 100% attention on hovering. I'll be interested to read your report once you have tried your version.
It is about the same task load at maintaining position while looking at your computer and trying to clear a stubborn ear at 90 fsw. Then having to ascend 10 ft for 6-7 min to get the bastard to clear and losing sight of the bottom... all this while cursing yourself for forgetting to take your scubaphed on the drive there. Last night's dive leaves a lot to be desired.

I have not yet done this, but I have done other things that involve task loading while hovering.

The PADI slate is not useful to me. Having students give me feedback on the confined water sessions in their own words is.

And I'm not a PADI instructor. I was in the past, but I will never be ever again.

I have not yet done this, but I have done other things that involve task loading while hovering.

The PADI slate is not useful to me. Having students give me feedback on the confined water sessions in their own words is.

And I'm not a PADI instructor. I was in the past, but I will never be ever again.
It's not about PADI (although I'm pleased I gave you another opportunity to PADI-bash :) ), it is about distracting the student while hovering, especially if it is something fun. My preference is not the slate, by the say, it is the neutrally buoyant rocket toy you can throw around.

It's not about PADI (although I'm pleased I gave you another opportunity to PADI-bash :) ), it is about distracting the student while hovering, especially if it is something fun. My preference is not the slate, by the say, it is the neutrally buoyant rocket toy you can throw around.
Please explain how I said anything negative about PADI? It is a fact that I was an instructor in the past, and am no longer. You agree that these facts are true, correct? This is not bashing therefore. The fact that I have no plans to ever become one again is not bashing. It is likely that I will stop being an instructor for both SSI and SDI. Is that bashing? By suggesting the slate, you are implicitly suggesting that I buy these from PADI to use them. I give my students wetnotes, so those will have to do.

A neutrally buoyant rocket is a great idea and commonly used.

Back
Top Bottom