Pool Pervert!!!

What would you do if you noticed a pervert checking out lady swimmers in the pool

• Ingnore it and focus on your swim

Votes: 60 35.5%
  • Tell the lifeguard

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Inform management

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • Tell the lady swimmer about it and let her deal with it

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Confront the pervert

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Grab the guy and drag him to the bottom of the pool

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sort of amazed at the amount of reaction this story has gotten. I mean, if you think about it, there are just a few scenarios:

The woman was completely unaware of anything this man was doing. She had a good swim and left. He had a good ogle and left. No harm, no foul. Telling the woman you think the man was doing something untoward would do nothing positive in this case.

The woman was aware that the man was doing something untoward. She then can decide what, if anything, she wants to do about it. You add nothing by speaking to her in this case.

The woman was unaware, and the man is likely to do something bad AFTER they leave the pool. This is highly unlikely. Statistics show that peepers rarely go on to anything involving contact. Serial rapists and murderers do not ogle their potential victims in ways that elicit attention from others. So it's unlikely that you are preventing harm by alerting the woman to this unsavory attention.

Back in my salad days, I had a nice figure. I dressed to show it off, and I liked attention. There were always some men who were unable to show healthy appreciation -- they were "creepy" and usually, frankly, pretty pathetic. I never enjoyed having construction workers call out obscene suggestions, but it didn't hurt me any. It didn't do them any good, either :)

TSandM:
I'm sort of amazed at the amount of reaction this story has gotten.

Back in my salad days, I had a nice figure. I dressed to show it off, and I liked attention. There were always some men who were unable to show healthy appreciation -- they were "creepy" and usually, frankly, pretty pathetic. I never enjoyed having construction workers call out obscene suggestions, but it didn't hurt me any. It didn't do them any good, either :)

Because sex sells. Like someone else put it "it's the way we were made. The same hormones that may or may not have caused this incident is fueling the thread. Although I agree it's being beat to death!

My workers screaming obscenities are forbiden by me on my jobsites. And I was wondering if maybe you could guide us a little by offering a way of reacting when a pretty young lass thats still in her salad days walks by. One that it might do us some good!:D Not for me of course but so I can pass it on to my unmarried brethren:D

Diver0001:
Well....It must be both, actually. I think it's good to listen to your intuition but with the awareness that it's only as reliable as the "norms" and "filters" you have. How much it's wise to trust it must also vary from person to person. I can only speak for myself but my intuitions about things (and people) turn out to be correct often enough that it's a fairly reliable early warning system. I don't trust blindly in it, in my case that wouldn't be wise, but having the sense that something is amiss just makes me more alert and sets me observing what I see with more focus. The benefit of using your intuition is that this focusing happens faster than it would if you approached everything in life with a completely blank starting point. Personally, if I started blank I wouldn't even be able to process that much information.

This is also something I've realised I can trust more as I get older. When I was 20 it wouldn't have worked for me like it does now. Something happened in the last 20 years that changed that. It might be because I myself have mellowed out a lot or because of building up a lot of experiences with other people by living in fairly international cities or by living overseas and traveling the world a couple of times. Somewhere in the process my internal "database" of normal behaviour has started to become fairly useful.

R..

Yeah I see what you mean and agree that the older you get the bigger your "database" of info. Hopefully people are opened minded when they populate their database and don't fill it full of the same tired old cliches and sterotypes but unfortunately most people don't. (not saying this towards you, just in general) so that's why I think confronting someone and making accusations based on this is wrong. Using your intuition to keep yourself aware of your surroundings is smart but outside of that I'm not so sure.

menemsha43:
The thumb in the snorkel trick is always a good option

Seriously though, if it is obvious that some knucklehead is getting his jolies with a mask and snorkel in a lap pool then somebody in a position of authority (lifeguard or pool manager) should handle it. Closely following some gal doing the breast stroke would certainly qualify in my book - how many serious swimmers swim laps with a mask and snorkel?

who says you have to be a serious swimmer to be in a lap pool? I have seen people using mask and fins though so I probably should assume the worst about them even though they were probably just exercising and not training for the olympics

TSandM - good points, what do you mean by "salad days"?

I think it comes down to respect. I would inform the girl. If the young lady was disturbed, the guy has to stop. I would go to him and "politely" tell him he is making the girl uncomfortable. If he continued, I would report him and let them know if they don't do something, I will have words with him myself. If the girl can't even go work out without being uncomfortable, that just isn't right. I'm not advocating violence, but being taught respect by my mother and thinking what would I do if that were my daughter, I would have to do something. Standing idly by is not an option.

BTW - salad days refers to girls who only eat salads to maintain their figure.

Wayward Son:
IMHO, if a man puts his hand on a womans *** uninvited, she has every right to kick his ***.
Right on Stu!! Thanks. :cheers:

jepuskar:
OMG...I am so sorry about that incident. You had something on your toosh and I kept trying to get it. If it means anything, you have a nice right hook.
If you want to use the nomenclature, get it right. It's tush. Second, I guess you have the wrong photo in your profile. You would be about a 50 year old man by now.

Xanthro:
Anyone else find it funny that someone with a screen name of Fairybasslet would post this?

Seriously though, male or female touching you, just tell him or her to stop before punching the person.
OK Mommy. Thanks for the lecture.
I guess if some guy grabbed your *****, you would tell him nicely to stop. I'm not going to use a woman as the ***** grabber because you'd probably welcome the attention.

"Salad Days" refers to youth, with a connotation of inexperience, it was first coined by the Bard. Us older folks speak like that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom