pony vs large tank and h valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any technical training, nor any real interest in helium diving. I looked into it a little and would need to take several courses to just get started..

My first "real" tech class was in 1997, IANTD trimix, the hardest part of that class was putting my ego aside and learning a more efficient/safe(r) way to dive. Mind you I had been diving since 1975, was an assistant instructor/dive master since 1980 and had been tech diving since 1994. "What could this guy teach me"!

It happened again just a couple of years ago when I decided to take a GUE Fundies class, again I had been diving with GUE guys since the late 90's, had pretty much bought into the system but never took the class. Had to really put the Ego in a box and stop asking "What more could I learn". Ouch, it was one of the toughest classes I have ever taken but the most satisfying since my NAUI Sport Diver class I took in 1977 from an old Navy Diver.

Never stop challenging yourself, especially if you are pushing the limits of diving (beyond recreational). Does your tool box at home just have one tool in it?

My two cents... If you're diving solo, then your redundant air should not be considered in your gas planning. It should be used for OOA situations only. An H valve provides no redundant air, no matter how big your tank is.

The need for redundancy is amplified once you stop just diving and add an activity such as spearing/collecting. It's a matter of perceptual narrowing and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people pull the trigger or start trying to capture a lobster without checking their air supply FIRST. Time flies when you're hunting and so can your air supply. A little exertion, a tad bit of CO2 loading and your rate of respiration can increase geometrically with out you even realizing it. All it takes is that first big, big fish you have to deal with and you could inadvertently run out of air with absolutely no buddy and no redundancy available. Then you have to make several important decisions, which depending on the depth, may not be so easily done.

Hey, it's your life and it's your decision. You might feel invincible and that you just don't get narced or distracted. I'm just trying to bring in some reality to the discussion. The insights are yours to ignore.

For the type of diving that i do (100 feet and shallower) ,I do/ and will always dive a Pony bottle. It was the first thing I bought once I got my OW. I just cannot justify not having one. For all the reasons stated by Dumpster Diver i agree that a Pony is safer. I have a 19. I take it when I travel. It's small, light, and you will never catch me diving without it. It stays turned on and ready to go. Things go bad and it is right there for me. No need to reach for anyting other than the reg. I back mount mine (I know most folks dont). I do check the air before I get wet. I run a 5 foot foot long hose off my Primary HP100. the pony Reg i son a short necklace bungee. It is literally 3 inches from my mouth should i need it.

i am not stuck on the reserve of air...

several posters responded with the more air with a pony response.

I totally get the redundancy of a pony.

I have done the practice drills shutting down the two sides and can do it within seconds.

i could see using a small 6cuft tank, etc... maybe even a 13.. but a 40... seems like overkill to me.

You have 24 dives, diving solo and think you got it all worked out...

I would suggest in order of preference: double AL80s, a 40cf pony, a 30cf pony.

The guy is spearfishing in recreational depths.. Do you know a lot of divers who dive double 80's to spearfishing in 130 or less? To be honest, I have never seem it. Sorta like telling all macro photographers, that they NEED a scooter..:coffee:

I don't remember... does an H-valve have redundant dip (debris) tubes in it? The only time I've faced a truly serious situation was when my dip tube clogged at 80 ft and I had been too lazy to put my pony on for a "planned" 40 ft dive. In 52 years that has only happened once. If the H-valve has redundant dip tubes for both air pathways it may not be an issue.

I don't remember... does an H-valve have redundant dip (debris) tubes in it? The only time I've faced a truly serious situation was when my dip tube clogged at 80 ft and I had been too lazy to put my pony on for a "planned" 40 ft dive. In 52 years that has only happened once. If the H-valve has redundant dip tubes for both air pathways it may not be an issue.
H valve no: H Valve Pro 200-BAR discounts on sale XS Scuba

Y valve sometimes yes: PADI IDC Costa Rica, Divemaster , scuba instructor courses, Internships and Technical dive training Did you know ?...Why is a "J" valve a "J" valve? - PADI IDC Costa Rica, Divemaster , scuba instructor courses, Internships and Technical dive training
sometimes no: Seac sub Y valve | Tools

Thanks, knotical. Given this no way I'd consider diving a single tank with an H-valve. Redundant air supply.

95% of my dives are solo (starting with the first one in the winter of 1961-62). If I am absolutely certain I'll be diving shallow (above 50 ft), I may not use my pony since I've done emergency ascents from 80-90 ft in the past. ... but if there is any chance I'll be going deeper (as I usually do on boat dives), I will attach my pony if diving solo or go with a known buddy.

Bill, you have one or two more dives than the OP seems to have. Comfort levels are affected by experience, knowledge, preparation, ignorance and arrogance. If you don't possess the first three, then you fall into one of the last two. Those two are problematic in terms of survival and learning. Correct whenever possible.

I recall from a different thread that the OP said he has more dives than he's showing in his profile. I think he said somewhere in the vicinity of 300 dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom