Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.Kitchen:
Guess you can say im a safety freak... and i always look at my octo on my main tank pointless (unless need to share)... so a pony just seems right to me... If i ever had problem with my main i have my pony... and if someone needs to share they use my pony... =)

No sensible diver will call you a safety freak. You need to be comfortable when you dive, if that means carrying a pony bottle with you or an extra mask, second octo, whatever do it. When I dive with a pony bottle I carry a 19c.u. with a Quick Draw bracket. I prefer the 19 over the 13 because it allows for a deep stop for 5 minutes and a 3 minute safety at 15’, based on a max depth of 100’. My setup is a DIN with an OMS stage bottle 1st, 2nd and a full pressure gauge.
:monkeydan

Okay, so I am going down the pony road as we speak but my setup is a bit different. I am slinging a 19 cuft with a mk17 first stage and my r190 octo but for ice diving I will be using an aga mask so I am using a manifold setup but putting my s600 on the pony for sharing.

I do alot of solo diving and check everything prior to a dive and watch my air religiously but sometimes **** just happens thats out of your control so for solo diving a pony is my best bet. I totally agree about what sparticle brane said but sometimes people just need that extra reassurance especially when solo diving/ice diving/etc. I did however talk about using a pony when ice diving with buddies but ice diving involves other unsaid hazards and having a slung pony makes passing it off to someone else much easier than sharing air or running a standard octo.

I know there are anti pony people out there and there are people who dont ever dive without one but in my opinion pony bottles have a place in diving but you should never become careless because you have one. If anything having a pony should make you a better and more responsible diver plus a better buddy.

Good luck

texdiveguy:
Not true in terms of a failure of a valve to tank o-ring.....when that happens and your dive buddy is not close or paying attention,,,or you are diving solo....that 'pony' will come in handy. Gas planning and proper management of course is your first defense....but **** happens. A pony bottle is a great addition for many sport divers and the cost is minimal. I would suggest a 19cf slung.
Sounds like you need a new buddy.

SparticleBrane:

Please explain your statement..... :confused:

T.Kitchen:
And the knob issue.. do you think it will get easier to move with time or is it just plane small??

Could be a bit of both. Time will tell. BTW it's not a huge pain, just something of note since you asked specifically about the Razor.

Look at a 30 cu/ft. The same analogy that says a 19 cu/ft isn't much larger than a 13 cu/ft applies to a 30 cu/ft as well. It really helps if you can go physically look at them somewhere. The 30 cu/ft gives you much more available air and can be used as a stage bottle if you go tech later. If you figure a 1 cf/min sac rate (as in when the ***T really hits the fan) a 19 cu/ft really isn't that much either.

SparticleBrane:

I dont understand why you would say that. The buddy system is a good thing but it certainly is not infalible and it's limitations are highlighted fairly regularly with diving accidents all over the world. Buddy's are great but for me self reliance is more important. BTW - I'm NOT a self reliant diver. Yet. But i'm working on it - I dont want someone else's bad day to get me killed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom