Pony Sling vs. Back BC mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm thinking of getting a pony and mounting it to my tank and don't know the best systems out there. Any suggestions?

Also, I see a lot of you are diving with slings. What kind of sling do you use? I think I'd prefer the pony on my back. What's the deal?

I like to stay streamlined, but want the added comfort of a pony. I was actually thinking of connecting it to my octo and my bc. I'm thinking of a 19 CF. Do you think that's a bad idea?

Ive read many thread here on the subject and am more so wondering on what type of connection sling vs. ... is best? Not the whole use them/ dont use them for xyz. (I am going to use one for specific dives and always with a bubby. (A 19CF will suffice on my 1 min. search for my buddy before heading to the surface at 30m/100ft))

What would be the most confortable for rec. diving.

I'm thinking a 19 CF bottle may be a bit small to sling but if you were to, a simple hose clamp and some rope with some tire inner-tube would be all you need. Search for "rigging a stage". A 30 cf bottle would probably work much better slung. While it may be overkill, I never really noticed my AL 40 deco bottle in the water.

I don't know anything about backmount systems for ponies but if you go that route, make sure you can reach the valve and release the pony so you can hand it off to an OOA diver.

Standard slung Deco/Stage Bottle protocol is to "charge" (i.e. pressurize) the Reg, and shut off the valve when not in use. During the dive, I'll try to monitor the SPG and keep it charged, as it tends to bleed down (especially while Scootering). . .

Any of the stage kits by Dive Rite or Halcyon is fine, or else use them as a model and make your own. . .

You are def going to find a bunch of different opinions on this one...and some quite militant.

For ME, it is all in what is your intention. If you have the belief that the pony is an emergency bail out bottle for you......you will never hand it off....then back mounting it is fine. And, a 19 cuft is the perfect size to me. It will get you up....give a little deco stop....and then to the surface. Sure it wont get you up from 300 ft.....but thats not the idea.

Many want it slung so you can hand it off. That is what I have an octo for. I would never hand off my pony. But for those that want to sling it for whatever reason....more power to you.

I use the ponease bottle mount as it latches on to my two cam bands and I can take it anywhere I want to go and use with any rig because it isnt attached in any way to a tank. Check it out here www.sea-lutions.com/ponease. I mount mine valve down so I can reach it no problem and I dive it open.

There are many ways to carry a pony. Look at what your reason is and chose the one best for those purposes. Two other things. I found a gauge was a waste of money. I simply top it off after a days diving since I test it before each dive and use it a while on my last deco. Finally,,,,never use a pony to lengthen a dive. Not the purpose and you would just be asking for trouble down the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom