Pony Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast5frog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering about pony tank sizes? Is a 19 cu. sufficient or do you need a 40cu? What is the general rule of sizing for them? Thanks

What is the max psi for a 19? 40?

What are you doing with it? If you just want redundant air for average recreational NDL dives, lets say around 100 foot max, and you have good air consumption then a 19 would probably be plenty. If you want to use it as a deco or stage bottle sometime down the road, then I would suggest the 40 or 30. As for max PSI, all the Aluminum ones from Luxfer or Catalina are 3000 PSI. There are some Steel ones at 3442 from Worthington as well.

I would go with a 30 or 40 cub Aluminium Luxifer poney. Reason for Luxifer. They hang better than the catalina. I would avoid a steel 30 - 40 cub. ads that much more weight to your rig and throws you off if your not configured right.

Also if you ever want to go the technical diving route...luxifer is the tank of choice for stage bottles.

Yeah just for redundant air. It's something I thought about on new years eve at DS, when I ran low on air and had to come up early. It probably wouldn't have something JIC, right?

Is it better to mount to main tank or hang from side?

Scareface, Have you tried the Catalina's? I have slung a Catalina several times (my instructors on loan to me) and personally it feels ok, but I've never had the opportunity to sling a Luxfer and see the difference. I'd like to hear exactly what the difference is before I go and order my 40 this spring. Thanks, and sorry for the Hijack.

personally I like it slung, I have tried both, and having it slung gives you easy access to the valve, and you can see the first and second stage and see if there is any problems. Plus if you need to pass it off to a buddy, or unclip before climbing in the boat, it makes life easy.

Sorry, never used one before, so I don't want to sound dumb here...but, when slung on the side, does it ever get in the way or have a tendancy to hang down and bump stuff?

I've never had it get tangled up or bump around, once you try it a couple times you forget its even there and it becomes second nature. I think there is probably more chance of a tangle if mounted on the tank, since you cant see it and have easy access to it

I like the reasoning you gave for side over back, it makes much more sense...What about a gauge for them, you cant just hook a reg up to them right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom