Pony Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all guys.

DA Aquamaster: Always thanks for your inputs. You exactly points about my concerns on two thoughts. I am not sure if my AquaLung Calypso Octo (yellow) is the old design or not. It was from my sister who stopped diving after having baby, my lovely niece.:wink: I will post the picture today evening.

Jonnythan: I mean the coldest water temperature where I used to dive at. I also acknowledge that Diveinn offers a good deal, especially for SP and Apeks regulators.

Lundysd: Good recommendation! But, I am worried about the service availability anywhere in the world.

Lead carrier: You bring out a good point. This pony regulator will be used as the deco with high O2 (I am not sure how high O2 TDI requires though. Someone helps me here). I plan to take the advance nitrox and deco Procedure course.

Matt unique: I only tried Sherwood regulator as the rental gear. So, I don’t have that much idea about that brand. I am told that it is the very simple design so that the maintenance is almost free.

Regarding the high O2 regulator for the Deco bottle,

1. Is there any difference to have O2 clean service on the regular regulator or to get the nitrox-ready regulator?

2. Like the nitrox tank, if the nitrox reg. has been used with the regular air, it must be cleaned again for the nitrox, probably more than 40 % blending?

well like somone mentioned scubapros MK25 is a great reg. but as is the case with most of us.. your trying to to this on a budget. and get the most bang for your buck...
scubapros MK2 pus id just as relaible, both piston regs, the mk 25 is balanced, and the mk 2 plus is not.... theres also some other small differences like configuration and design but either way i think your good...
for the 2d stage the r190 is relaible... there are diver adjustable regs that are nice because you can adjust the breathability on the fly. crankingh it down so help prevent free flow and then adjusting it to less than 1" H2o when you want it.
but again the performance makes it more expensive.... espically with scubapro

NOTE andy titanium reg can not be o2 cleaned the materal is too porus.
most regs outa the box are good for mixes up to 40% and any more will need to be o2 cleaned, and be serviced using o2 compatable lube, and o-rings.
if you do this.. dont use your this reg on air that is not o2 compatable... designate it for nitrox only

LOL~~~
Even I can't afford any titanium reg. Don't worry about it.

Thanks.
Diesel298:
NOTE andy titanium reg can not be o2 cleaned the materal is too porus.
most regs outa the box are good for mixes up to 40% and any more will need to be o2 cleaned, and be serviced using o2 compatable lube, and o-rings.
if you do this.. dont use your this reg on air that is not o2 compatable... designate it for nitrox only

I would have to agree on Jonnythan on choice of reg. Apeks rule. However; I would go for Apeks ATX50 w/ DS4 first but that's just me. Diveinn has for 328.01 US$. But, I would buy from a US dealer. Expect to pay about $450- $500. If 02 clean will cost you an additional $80 - $100.

hoosier:
Hi all,

If you have to buy the regulator for the pony bottle, what regulator do you recommend and why? Unfortunately, I don’t have any spare or unused one. I can save one extra Octo (Aqualung Calypso with adjustable valve, 2nd stage only) after buying Air2 or Tusa Duo for my GF. Do you think it is ok to match up with pony 1st stage?
My diving environment is up to 40 F degree water temp.

Please let me know your insights.

Thanks in advance,

Your Calypso 2nd stage octo can be attached to most any decent 1st stage to make a pony regulator. Considering that you are using this pony as an emergency supply to assist in the ascent it will serve the purpose well. For your water temps you will need to use either a 1st stage with an environmental kit (dry prefered) or a positive bleed regulator (ie: sherwood).

Some dont like the sherwood units because of the constant stream coming from the 1st stage however over a complete 3000 psi / 80 cuft tank it will at most bleed off 50 psi. Insignificant in comparison to the benefits of the positive bleed system.

Check with your PDC and see what they can come up with for you.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom