Pony Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

Looking to add a pony tank & reg to my current rig for true redundancy, and have heard several opinions regarding size, etc.

Leaning toward a 19-30 cf AL tank, and then finding a decent first stage for it.

Anyone have something they'd recommend? Are 13s and 19s ample?

Any thoughts on steel vs, AL (my main tank is a Worthington X7-100 HP)?

And recommendations on a reasonably priced yet reliable yoke reg for the pony? I own AquaLung and have used Apeks, ScubaPro.

Most of my diving is between 30 and 110-120 ft. Non-deco. 30 is probably overkill, but 13 seems a bit tight...19?

Thanks

AL pony, slung. Dive Rite 1st stage with the swivel turret.

30, the extra gas doesn't cost and can really help.

TheRedHead:
AL pony, slung. Dive Rite 1st stage with the swivel turret.

Why do you need a swivel. I'm using a MR12 with a "whatever" 2nd stage that I got new from an authorized dealer for about $130.00. It was an "MR12 Axis" before I whatevered it. This is the second time the MR12 has bailed me out when my "fancy" regulator "needed attention."

I personally like a slung 40 that can also be used as a deco bottle.

There are lots of discussions here about the pros and cons between a 13 and 19. I would go with a 30 myself.

What brand reg. I'd say the same as your primary reg so you can get it all serviced at the same time/place. Also then you have a SPARE. If something goes wrong whie you are on a trip you have an identical 1st and second stages and a hose. More likely you will need to swap out a damged reg then breath the air in the pony bottle. Just buy one that can service as a spare part.

Size: Bigger is better but if it is so big that you never use it then it is usless. Also the tank itself is not that expensive (less then $100 locally) you could even buy both sizes and use the larger size for deeper dives.

Steel or AL. Get the lightest one that wll not float. I think that means AL. If you ever have to hand off the pony you do not want to hand off ballast that you need to stay down. What would you do? Hand off the tank and then hunt for a 5 pound rock? You need to still be able to hold a 15 foot saftey stop even without the pony.

I use a steel 3 litre @ 230 bar or 24cf. As for the reg I have a few to choose from. MK20 and M50 or Cousteau & adjustable micra or Cousteau and XR2.
If you are going to buy one new then try and match it with what you already have or buy something better and use it as your main reg set.
If you are looking at tech in the future the a 30 or 40 could be the better investment. otherwise a 19.

evad:
Why do you need a swivel. I'm using a MR12 with a "whatever" 2nd stage that I got new from an authorized dealer for about $130.00. It was an "MR12 Axis" before I whatevered it. This is the second time the MR12 has bailed me out when my "fancy" regulator "needed attention."

I like the Dive Rite DIN and it's not expensive at about $200. The swivel turret on the DIN makes it easier to route hoses. The Salvo is supposed to be the same regulator and it is less expensive. I use mine for a deco bottle instead of a pony.

I like an AL 40 because it's neutral when empty. I use an MK25/S600 DIN which is the same as virtually all my other regs.

Personally I have Al 30 & 40 for ponies and Steel 45's for deco stages. I subscribe to the philosophy that you never bring too much gas with you. I usually carry the 40 on a pony tamer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom