Pony practice...what do you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanonfodr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well last weekend I was diving with my pony and decided to deploy it and breathe from it for a while. I sucked about 500 psi from it, then turned off the valve and restowed it for the remainder of the dive. Worked pretty good, even if I am slow because I keep the valve turned off until I need to use it.

My question is: Is there a preferred practice method with it?? Granted, it's a tool nobody ever wants to use, but like any other tool it requires use under controlled conditions to keep the muscle memory and protocol fresh. I want to see how other divers practice with their pony. I have devised two simple scenarios that would necessitate deployment of the pony and I will explain them below:

1.) Diver begins running low on air and to safely complete the dive, diver deploys and begins breathing from pony while retaining a small reserve in their backgas to inflate BCD/Drysuit and also quickly assist another diver until the situation can be resolved. At that point the dive is over and ascent/exit has begun. Does that sound good?

2.) Diver's buddy runs OOA, diver then deploys pony and gives it to OOA diver if possible. The problem I see with this is as follows: The OOA diver won't want to wait the 5-10 seconds for the donating diver to deploy the reg hose and then turn on the valve from the pony. More likely the donating diver will give the OOA diver his donation reg, switch to his secondary if necessary, and then deploy the pony and give that to the OOA diver. That would allow him to recover his donated regulator and then the two can begin their ascent/exit. Is it worth it to begin air-sharing or just have the OOA diver wait for pony deployment??

I have a practice method devised, but I want to see what other divers do first and see if they have a better method.

Peace,
Greg

1.) Diver begins running low on air and to safely complete the dive, diver deploys and begins breathing from pony while retaining a small reserve in their backgas to inflate BCD/Drysuit and also quickly assist another diver until the situation can be resolved. At that point the dive is over and ascent/exit has begun. Does that sound good?

No. IMO a pony isn't there to cover bad gas management, it's there for a failure.

2.) Diver's buddy runs OOA, diver then deploys pony and gives it to OOA diver if possible. The problem I see with this is as follows: The OOA diver won't want to wait the 5-10 seconds for the donating diver to deploy the reg hose and then turn on the valve from the pony. More likely the donating diver will give the OOA diver his donation reg, switch to his secondary if necessary, and then deploy the pony and give that to the OOA diver. That would allow him to recover his donated regulator and then the two can begin their ascent/exit. Is it worth it to begin air-sharing or just have the OOA diver wait for pony deployment??

I have a practice method devised, but I want to see what other divers do first and see if they have a better method.

Peace,
Greg
You could keep the pony valve on, then reg could be deployed straight away before unclipping the pony from your harness and handing off.

I only just got my pony back into action and I have been charging it then turning off in case it free flows 'cause that can empty a pony pretty quickly, which means I'd be donating my primary, switching to alt, unclip pony and turn on and then hand to OOA diver.

Even charged and off, it should have a breath or two in it anyway.

No. IMO a pony isn't there to cover bad gas management, it's there for a failure.

Why can't you use the pony as part of the gas plan then its not bad gas management?
Tech divers stage extra backgas all the time.

Why can't you use the pony as part of the gas plan then its not bad gas management?
Tech divers stage extra backgas all the time.

Sure, and they use different gas for different levels, but I don't think that was what the OP was getting at.

I 'spose you could fill a pony with deco gas too, but [for me] there is a major diff between a pony and a stage.

Pony = bailout.

Stage = Planned and available gas.

This is just my view tho' and I'm far from an expert.

Well last weekend I was diving with my pony and decided to deploy it and breathe from it for a while. I sucked about 500 psi from it, then turned off the valve and restowed it for the remainder of the dive. Worked pretty good, even if I am slow because I keep the valve turned off until I need to use it.

My question is: Is there a preferred practice method with it?? Granted, it's a tool nobody ever wants to use, but like any other tool it requires use under controlled conditions to keep the muscle memory and protocol fresh. I want to see how other divers practice with their pony. I have devised two simple scenarios that would necessitate deployment of the pony and I will explain them below:

Peace,
Greg

Sunds like you are doing it right to me. If you are unsure, it is better to go to the pony early and find that you forgot to fill it (or it leaked or the reg diaphram is ripped etc.) than to completely empty the main tank and desperatly switch over to an empty pony on the bottom at the last possible second. The second scenario could kill you, the first would just make you expedite your ascent or go to Plan C (a buddy?)

I always tell people that if they need air, take the reg from my mouth. I personally always keep my pony tank on, so the switch should be easier, but if you carry the pony as a stage bottle (slung to the side), then you should be able to go without air long enough to turn a valve 360 degrees and deploy that reg. So save the pony bottle for your use.

Pony strategy depends on how you mount it and the size. Whatever you choose, practice real ascent, not just breathing of it for a few minutes. Typically, I do at least one ascent per month from a moderate depth (75'). This gives me a good feel for how much air need. I can then add a calculated amount for deeper dives and a fudge factor to allow for stress.

If you dive with it charged and off, don't count on having a breath or 2 in the hoses. Jumping in you can loose the line pressure in a second and never be aware. You only have one hose holding air, not 2 or 3 like a standard regulator. Again, you options are limited by how you carry it.

For me (back mount, modest size with a button gauge), the only viable strategy is to head for 20' at 30FPM. Then wait out the safety stop, constantly monitoring to make sure I don't go OOG a 2nd time. The size is not viable to troubleshoot any problems and is a practical trade off for traveling, not the ideal size. Others may dive with larger pony bottles and have more options.

Lastly, if I ever need to use my pony for real, I have made a really bad decision. My dive is done as well as my diving for some time to come. A diver should always be able to plan their gas plus enough gas for their buddy to ascend with. Equipment failures are rare and even then often the result of poor maintenance. Any any case, some serious analysis and soul searching is in order.

Before switching to doubles, I dove with a slung pony.

The pony was for me to manage. I would charge the pony and then shut it off for the dive and I would keep the 2nd stage stowed with mouthpiece oriented down between my body and the tank. Since it wasn't on, it didn't want to OOA diver to have easy access to it. I'd rather they grabbed my primary if that is what it came down to. My logic was I could easily switch to my secondary and if I felt it warranted it, I could turn my pony on and breath off of it.

I would say this is not ideal, however I've done this, but I had planned to do this.

I answered this above, but I'd donate my primary and if need be switch to my pony. The OOA diver is OOA and they are likely on the verge of panic. Give them the gas as easily and quickly as possible.

Plan Dives, and use a "H" or "Y" type Valve, better yet dive doubles, then there is no need for a pony, if you properly plan a dive, and watch your spg, you should be ok.....

On very rare occasions the valve stick can get clogged. In that situation, a pony is nice to have. Separate first stages off of the same stick won't help.

Plan Dives, and use a "H" or "Y" type Valve, better yet dive doubles, then there is no need for a pony, if you properly plan a dive, and watch your spg, you should be ok.....

Why do you make blanket statements such as this when you know so little about the types of dives the OP is doing?

Why do you keep advising H or Y valves? These are just about obsolete in most situations and in some cases less safe than a pony, depending on skill of the diver and size of the pony.

Why do you think everyone can dive doubles or that they are even available to many (traveling) divers?

Why do you think if you plan your dive and watch you SPG you will be OK? Diving is just not that simple. Planning and monitoring gas will prevent many issues, but it is not the end to all problems.

Lastly, we get it. You do not like pony bottles. Don't dive one. No one is saying you will die if you don't have a pony. No one is even suggesting them for normal dives.
But realize, there are divers out there, with the same or more experience than you have that dive with a pony based on their experience and their dive conditions. Please respect that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom