pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grf88 said...

At this point I would like to state that I wholeheartedly agree that when it comes to technical diving then the Team Approach is the only safe way. In those dives any problems have to be solved at depth and unless you have an integrated team who have worked and trained together there can be disastrous results. Ideally we would like to have the same situation in recreational diving but that is frankly being unrealistic. Let’s compare the two groups. Most divers who go on to technical diving are addicted to diving in one way or another. They eat, sleep and live diving, spend the money on equipment and training and also spend a considerable amount of their spare time diving and developing their skills. Most recreational divers get certified and maybe take an extra few courses so they can dive when they are away on vacation and maybe also do a little bit of local diving during the summer. They are not part of a Diving Team and even if they have a regular buddy it is still not Team Diving as GUE would define. Unlike the Technical Divers they do not go away on Dive Team trips but go on vacation with their families where they may take a charter or two to get in some diving. I am not sure how many dives a year would be average for this group but it is probably less than 20.

You're saying that, either because recreational divers don't get enough practice or don't care enough, it's unrealistic to expect them to master basic skills. I don't think that watching your gauges, sticking close to your buddy and staying within the limits of your training are skills that are too difficult for any diver to master - if they want to.​

So what happens when members of this group raise the issue of ponys as a redundant air source. Normally a member of the technical diving community will advise them not to substitute equipment for skill, or some such statement, and tell them that you should rely on your buddy for your redundant air source.

:icon_idea :icon_idea Yep.​

This is often the same individual who on a different thread is lamenting the present quality of training and the poor diving and buddy skills that recreational divers exhibit. That’s right, although he does not think they are safe at any depth, he is quite prepared to tell you to trust those same divers with your life.

:light: Gack - faulty restatement. Though some lament the skills exhibited by recreational divers, I don't think anybody said trust poor divers with your life. What was said, repeatedly, is don't be a poor diver - get the skills you need for the dives you are doing. As it relates to this thread, what has been repeatedly said is that a pony bottle should not be considered as an acceptable substitute for developing the skills you need.​

When you point this out you are advised that you should only dive with buddies that you can rely on. This is sound advice but it is not always practical if you want to take a day charter while on vacation or if you are even going with your local club where there may be some newer divers with limited experience. Yes the technical divers will travel with their team, diving after all is often the reason and almost the entire focus of the trip.

:wink: Schismatic! You say that, for varying reasons, sometimes it isn't practical to dive safely like inconvenience makes for an allowable exemption. In your book, perhaps, but never in mine. If the dive plan can't be executed safely, scale the plan back.​

So as a recreational diver on vacation you can, well! what can you do if you listen to this advice? probably play golf. If on the other hand you would like to dive and have a concern that you may be faced with a situation of diving with an unknown buddy whose skill set and response in an emergency are also unknown then you may want to make yourself a little more self-sufficient when it comes to the one thing we really need when diving which is air. Oh no! protest the pony detractors, look at all the complexity and task loading you are adding to your dive, you are diving an unbalanced rig, think of the extra weight swing from the extra air etc. These the same divers that regularly have 4 different regulators some delivering gas that could kill them if used at the improper depth. No they say, you are adding too much complexity, what if the gas you have in your pony is not suitable for the depth you are at. It’s a pony tank guys, we fill them with air, yes that stuff you use for tires, believe it or not it is not toxic and can support life at all recreational depths. It will take someone about 2 minute to learn to how to deploy a side slung pony and probably less than 30 seconds to actually do it even under duress. Guys, to suggest that most recreational divers do not somehow have the capacity to do this is frankly insulting. Oh yes, there are a few that may not have the competence to do this and other things, these are the guys we are trying to protect ourselves from when we get inadvertently buddied up with them.

It isn't the technical divers saying that recreational divers can't (or won't) learn basic skills like gas management and buddy diving - it's you. Checking your gauges and keeping your buddy close are no harder to learn than switching to a pony.​

OK now that you have your pony these same guys are going to look down their noses and suggest you are obviously incapable of gas management and are a dangerous diver because now you have the pony you obviously are going to use that emergency gas to extend your dive or push the limits etc. etc., after all if you knew what you were doing you would do it their way because doing it any other way is wrong.

This is a reasonably accurate, if overwrought, summary.​

I do not know how many divers there are but I am confident that these same Technical Divers do not represent ten percent of the diving community and it is probably closer to one percent than the ten. Their ideas, methods and discipline are critical in the diving they are doing but it does not mean that recreational divers need to follow these very same methods. You may not want to tell them that though because they do sometimes get a little upset.

Argumentum ad hominem. Besides, the technical divers aren't arguing that recreational divers need to know how to run line in a cave or do helicopter turns or master shut-down drills in black water. I hope you don't think it's OK if recreational divers don't know how to manage their own gas. If the technical divers get a little upset, it's only because of our obsessive-compulsive natures and the fact that :heart: we wuv wu wookies. :heart:

Well I have talked about a common reason to have a pony for those times that you are diving with an unknown buddy on a vacation for example. Why else might they be a good idea. Why might I want one when I am diving with my regular buddy who has always been reliable and stayed close. An example might be that your reliable buddy who you have practiced emergency drills with turns out to be an absolute hoover when the sh!t hits the fan and what would normally be an adequate reserve is diminished quickly. Much better to have the extra gas than be forced into a hurried ascent. Another consideration in our lakes diving is that freeflows are not unknown and for some people are quite common. If the conditions are conducive to freeflows you may just tip your buddies reg over the brink when both of you breathe from it, a redundant air supply can avoid this.

:no In none of the problems you describe is a pony bottle the best choice for a solution.​

grf88:
OK now that you have your pony these same guys are going to look down their noses and suggest you are obviously incapable of gas management and are a dangerous diver because now you have the pony you obviously are going to use that emergency gas to extend your dive or push the limits etc. etc., after all if you knew what you were doing you would do it their way because doing it any other way is wrong. I do not know how many divers there are but I am confident that these same Technical Divers do not represent ten percent of the diving community and it is probably closer to one percent than the ten. Their ideas, methods and discipline are critical in the diving they are doing but it does not mean that recreational divers need to follow these very same methods. You may not want to tell them that though because they do sometimes get a little upset.

Unfortunately, gas management often isn't taught in recreational courses so lots of these divers aren't capable of managing gas. The situation really becomes something to look at when those divers start doing dives to 100+ without any real gas planning. Often, they end up thinking they need a pony.
Well I have talked about a common reason to have a pony for those times that you are diving with an unknown buddy on a vacation for example. Why else might they be a good idea. Why might I want one when I am diving with my regular buddy who has always been reliable and stayed close. An example might be that your reliable buddy who you have practiced emergency drills with turns out to be an absolute hoover when the sh!t hits the fan and what would normally be an adequate reserve is diminished quickly. Much better to have the extra gas than be forced into a hurried ascent. Another consideration in our lakes diving is that freeflows are not unknown and for some people are quite common. If the conditions are conducive to freeflows you may just tip your buddies reg over the brink when both of you breathe from it, a redundant air supply can avoid this.

Free flows are certinaly a concern especially in cold and/or deep water but what makes you think that it isn't going to be the pony bottle that free flows?

I don't know about you but when if have a free flow and nothing but a small pony for backup, I'd continue to breath the free flowing reg so I can use that gas while it was there. This is another problem and that is that recreational divers, in general, just aren't comfortable managing a free flow. Some courses don't teach it at all and others only have divers practice it while plastered to the bottom on their knees. Unfortunately, kneeling on the bottom isn't going to get you to the surface. Divers need to be able to manage a free flow and dive at the same time. We see this pretty often even in local quarries with deepish cold water. I lost count of the number of divers I've seen hurt, get ambulance rides or just shoot to the surface without injury because of a rapid ascent that was brought on be free flows.. To be honest, I don't know how many of them would have been able to deploy a pony bottle during the free flow either...free flow starts and BAM, they're on the surface.

These are skill issues that a pony bottle just might not solve. Sure people are going to dive without investing the time or effort to learn to dive well. They can do what they want but they are at increased risk even at "recreational" depths and I haven't seen any evidence that a pony bottle does much to manage those risks though it might make the diver feel better.

Of course, given the skill level and the equipment used, I think "recreational depths" are often too deep in the first place. Just look at some of the example dives used in this thread alone...the papoose 120 to the sand, 90 to the top of the wreck and sometimes a ripping current. Put a bunch of divers on that wreck who don't know anything about gas management, don't have much no-stop time, don't have the skills to manage any problem midwater and it's no surprise that problems aren't uncommon at all. Would there be fewer problems if all those divers carried pony bottles? Not from what I see. They just feel better about it.

What about "recreational" dives with unknown or bad buddies? There must be a thousand different ways that a bad buddy can get you into trouble that don't have anything to do with gas supply. If a pony bottle is adressing any problem at all it's only a little piece of it. Again, the diver with the pony feels better about it but those feeling may not reflect reality.

Recreational or ont, I'm not doing any dives that are deepish or challenging in any other way with bad or unknown buddies. You can just only expect to do so many things wrong and have it all come out right regardless of how much equipment you buy.

reefraff:
You're saying that, either because recreational divers don't get enough practice or don't care enough, it's unrealistic to expect them to master basic skills. I don't think that watching your gauges, sticking close to your buddy and staying within the limits of your training are skills that are too difficult for any diver to master - if they want to.​

If you care to re-read it you will see I am stating that it is impractical for many recreational divers to take their reliable dive buddies on vacation with them. Nowhere have I suggested that divers not master the basic skills.
reefraff:

:icon_idea :icon_idea Yep.​
You tell me that I should rely on my buddy for my redundant air source and note that in your next comment you seem to want to deny that. Relying on an unproven buddy to be my redundant air source is trusting them with my life. Why not be self sufficient in the primary requirement which is something to breathe.

reefraff:
:light: Gack - faulty restatement. Though some lament the skills exhibited by recreational divers, I don't think anybody said trust poor divers with your life. What was said, repeatedly, is don't be a poor diver - get the skills you need for the dives you are doing. As it relates to this thread, what has been repeatedly said is that a pony bottle should not be considered as an acceptable substitute for developing the skills you need.​

See above.

reefraff:
:wink: Schismatic! You say that, for varying reasons, sometimes it isn't practical to dive safely like inconvenience makes for an allowable exemption. In your book, perhaps, but never in mine. If the dive plan can't be executed safely, scale the plan back.​

It seems that you are suggesting that if I am unable to take a tried and tested buddy with me on vacation I should scale back the plan and play golf instead? I can dive safely by carrying my own redundant air source. Taking a pony on vacation is practical, taking my doubles or large singles with H-valves isn't unless I am driving.

reefraff:
It isn't the technical divers saying that recreational divers can't (or won't) learn basic skills like gas management and buddy diving - it's you. Checking your gauges and keeping your buddy close are no harder to learn than switching to a pony.​
]
Nowhere have I suggested that. I just prefer to rely on myself rather than an unkmown
reefraff:
This is a reasonably accurate, if overwrought, summary.​

reefraff:
Argumentum ad hominem. Besides, the technical divers aren't arguing that recreational divers need to know how to run line in a cave or do helicopter turns or master shut-down drills in black water. I hope you don't think it's OK if recreational divers don't know how to manage their own gas. If the technical divers get a little upset, it's only because of our obsessive-compulsive natures and the fact that :heart: we wuv wu wookies. :heart:
Of course recreational divers need to manage their own gas. I like to manage my redundant gas source as well so that in case of an equipment failure I can get to the surface safely.

reefraff:
:no In none of the problems you describe is a pony bottle the best choice for a solution.​
A properly sized pony for the type of diving being undertaken is an adequate solution. Yes there are other possibly better solutions but having it on your insta-buddies back is not one of them. I know, so don't dive with insta-buddies which brings us back to my first paragraph in my post which it appears you misinterpreted.

Another misconception oft repeated concerning the pony is that it is not backed up. This is WRONG. Let's review the Rule of Thirds and correct pony application.

One third in or down and out, one third up and back on boat or sitting on beach towel, one third in RESERVE. PLUS the pony. The pony should also be sized to 20 to 30% of your main tank. Your main supply should be sized to your PLANNED dive profile.

THEREFORE--following this method--your pony is backing up your main and your main with a full 1/3 in reserve at ALL times backs up the pony. The pony is never used except for emergency. The 1/3 in reserve is never used except for emergency.

Let me answer what your going to ask---in an emergency and your back gas is now--for whatever reason depleated to that magic 1/3 point--what do you do---swap to the pony--yep. Leave the back gas--which you know to be working and available for absolute last--this way the pony is backed by the main. Failure of main supply--go to pony right off--head up to the surface--NOW. Failure of pony---O-ring blows out in dive--free flows---whatever---terminate dive--go to surface. (Of course--in this instance you could soldier on and you would be no different from 98% of sport divers on a single with no pony to begin with.)

This is a highly successful system for more adventureous sport dives and solo divers and works just fine with a high level of redundancy--far more than the same rig WITHOUT the pony.

This is a sport diving sytem--not intended to be used in overhead (deco is overhead) and not intended for example to dive 200 feet deep into a cave or such as that.

It provides strong redundancy to travelling diivers without the hassle of doubles and it is much lighter and more streamlined.

Your main supply should always be sized to allow application of the rule of thirds--you do this by PLANNING your dives. An aluminum 80 may not be enough, singles are sized up to 120 cf. Within this range--most--sport divers should be able to size their main and their pony for the proper application of the Rule of Thirds for SAFE(er) diving.

Can the pony replace a buddy--well---yes and no. It depends. In a perfect world no but in the real world it certainly can.

N

Let's explore a typical resort buddy dive with your new found friend. Your on a single 80 with 20cf pony, slung. he is on an aluminum resort provided 80 as well. Your at 90 feet on a reef. Your following the Rule of Thirds. You have a standard octapus with either long hose or like I use a 40 inch primary on swivel under my arm and your secondary is necklaced at your neck--lol and you have a slung pony of course. Your buddy only has a standard octapus. he is using the typical unreliable single hose set up so popular these days and it is a MkV turrent first.

Ooops--the turrent blows off and your buddy is coming at you. You see the air blowing straight out of his first and his second stages dangling. Oh no! What do you do? OK, you are still in the first 2/3s because your on a planned dive and your following the plan but you now have an emergency. Emergencies are when you can use the pony and the 1/3 main supply normally held in reserve. Me<---, I would hand the OOA diver my primary (on 40 inch hose) and I would switch to my pony. Everything is good--head to surface---OOOOOppppppps. Either my pony fails or my main fails!!!!!!!!! Well, that is why all--ALL--divers should be trained in and know how to and routinely practice the fine art of BUDDY BREATHING. No worries mate---your 1/3 in reserve in the main or your 1/3 in reserve in the pony (which ever did not fail) was kept there just for this--it was for an emergency and your in a full blown emergency--you can use it now to go to the surface--buddy breathing if need be. Ok, your in bizzarro world on a dive from hades and his rig explodes, your main fails and now your both on your pony and it fails--oh well---time that you should have known how to do an Emergency Free Ascent.

Good thing triple and double failures are uncommon even with those unreliable single hose regulators you guys use--isn't it.

N

Nemrod:
One third in or down and out, one third up and back on boat or sitting on beach towel, one third in RESERVE. PLUS the pony. The pony should also be sized to 20 to 30% of your main tank. Your main supply should be sized to your PLANNED dive profile.
The real world use that I have seen, is suck you bottle dry. Use pony to do your safety stop.

Now, I also don't believe what I have seen is a good statistical sample of pony bottle use, but it at least proves that not everything is perfect in pony world.

Nemrod:
Can the pony replace a buddy--well---yes and no. It depends. In a perfect world no but in the real world it certainly can.
Hardly.

Look at all the problems that can occur underwater. Ponies solve 1 of them. (and probably the least likely as well.)

Buddies can potentially solve way more issues.

(Note: Insta-buddies type buddy's, I would say you might as well call yourself solo)

MikeFerrara:
Free flows are certinaly a concern especially in cold and/or deep water but what makes you think that it isn't going to be the pony bottle that free flows?

I don't know about you but when if have a free flow and nothing but a small pony for backup, I'd continue to breath the free flowing reg so I can use that gas while it was there.
I would shut down my backgas and go to the pony keeping the backgas in reserve for when I reached shallower (warmer) water. Since my pony is sideslung I would breathe that and if that feeflowed I would feather the valve between breaths further conserving the air I had. As I ascended I would check my primary to see if it had thawed out enough to stop the freeflow and then continue my ascent and safety stop with that. This way you have no mass of bubbles to contend with and you are not losing your gas at a high rate. I have only had to do this once when I had a first stage freeze at 100 feet but it was no problem to do it and knowing I had that option my breathing rate hardly increased. Once above the thermocline I still had plenty of gas and as able to continue my dive on a shallower portion of the wreck with more than half the contents of my pony and plenty of backgas still available.

Two good posts in a row Nemrod, your on a roll man:wink:

But...90 ft on 80s with an unknown buddy? Not me. If I can't do some other dive (or two) with them where there's a little more margin while we work out the kinks, I really would rather just pass and do something else for the afternoon. Again, there are a whole bunch of ways that this person can ruin your day even if you have plenty of gas. I'll dive with almost anyone until I have a reson not to as long as the dive is appropriate and I don't think this one is.

JeffG:
The real world use that I have seen, is suck you bottle dry. Use pony to do your safety stop.)
Just because some people use the tool incorrectly does not make the tool a bad idea when it is being used for the correct purpose for what it was intended. Following your logic hammers are bad because some people pound in screws with them.

JeffG:
Look at all the problems that can occur underwater. Ponies solve 1 of them. (and probably the least likely as well.)

Buddies can potentially solve way more issues.

(Note: Insta-buddies type buddy's, I would say you might as well call yourself solo)
No question about that if it is a good buddy but air is pretty damn important and I like to be self sufficent in that area. Yes with insta-buddies I prepare myself as if it is a solo dive although in these cases I also have the additional responsility toward the insta-buddy.

grf88:
I would shut down my backgas and go to the pony keeping the backgas in reserve for when I reached shallower (warmer) water. Since my pony is sideslung I would breathe that and if that feeflowed I would feather the valve between breaths further conserving the air I had. As I ascended I would check my primary to see if it had thawed out enough to stop the freeflow and then continue my ascent and safety stop with that. This way you have no mass of bubbles to contend with and you are not losing your gas at a high rate. I have only had to do this once when I had a first stage freeze at 100 feet but it was no problem to do it and knowing I had that option my breathing rate hardly increased. Once above the thermocline I still had plenty of gas and as able to continue my dive on a shallower portion of the wreck with more than half the contents of my pony and plenty of backgas still available.

Good answer.

Now lets go out to some dive site and see how many single tank recreational divers can reach back and shut their valve down. Most have their valve about the middle of their back and don't have any idea that it's even a good idea TO be able to reach it let alone have practiced it. Lets have them try it midwater and see how many end up on the surface before they even get a hand on the valve.

Next lets see how many of them have ever tried feathering a valve or even know what the term means.

Back
Top Bottom