Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I like single tank diving

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Padi should adopt this configuration

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
you need to add a voting option for:

- most people who use ponys don't understand the failure possibilities and aren't as redundant as they think they are. most people who do understand the possible failures of ponys dive doubles.

OK I'll bite. What are the failure possibilities with a slung pony that don't exist with manifolded doubles.

Terry

How do you dive with a pony overseas? Do you take it with you? Does the dive op have one for you?

I use a pony for deeper dives... just as back up for failures or those oh crap senarios. I have my 19cu.ft pony slung, and have only used it once for another dive partner on a safety stop.... no biggie....

Take the valve off, put a piece of plastic over the opening, for transport. Put the valve back in and have the dive op fill it on site. No problem -- the pony goes as checked luggage, but is clearly not pressurized and people can do a visual check if they desire. I did this just a few weeks ago.

The last option should read "recreational training agencies..."
Why just PADI?

On another note... Just used a pony for the first time this past weekend for four dives on two seperate days...

Tried it mounted in back, and also tried with the sling (borrowed a friends tanks and he had both options).

Overall, comfort, ease of use... Sling wins hands down. I did not like feeling off balance with it mounted in the back (even with moving more weight to the other side).

This was done for redundancy purposes, and did not use the air for "planning" purposes. On the second dive of each day, I switched to the pony for my safety stop... Hey I had it, why not try it.

As to balance, a 19CF quick draw balances well with a 2lb tank weight on the other side of the cam band.
(I have nothing against slings, just want to provide accurate information on the bracket.)

In my case it was a 30 cuft Luxfer with MK2/R390... I had configured my weight belt with +5 pounds on my left side [compared to right].. Still very unstable.

Sling was much easier.. IMO

Haven't use a 30, but if it was five on a weight belt compared to balancing with a weight on the tank cam band, instability would be quite understandable. Since the 19 in a QD bracket is pretty much right when balanced with a 2 in a weight pouch on the other side of the band, I'd expect 3 or 4 pounds to be the balance for a 30. At least I haven't noticed any obvious roll when in the water :)
(A 13 would also likely be OK with 2lb balance. The idea is to get "pretty close", you don't need to be balanced down to the ounce.)

Web Monkey:
OK I'll bite. What are the failure possibilities with a slung pony that don't exist with manifolded doubles.

Terry

you misread me. plus, i wasn't confining myself to slung ponys.

lamont:
you misread me. plus, i wasn't confining myself to slung ponys.

Assuming it's slung (I don't like it in back because I can't reach it, work the valve, see the gauge, hand it off, etc.). What's the problem?

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom