Pony Bottles & Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallaskincaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm relatively new to pony bottles. I have a question regarding storage. Currently, I have been leaving the regulator on the pony and the 2nd stage attached as it would be if I was using it. Are there any issues doing it this way? Should I remove the regulator until I'm actually using it?

Mine is hooked up and rigged every day of the year.

I keep reg on my deco bottle for weeks at a clip

Me three, but I do turn the valve "off", depressurizing the system. Avoids slow leaks.

leave mine on, pressurized but valve off. IMHO pressurized is better than not to keep stuff out of the first stage, but always with valve off.

Many tech divers will leave their back gas regulators on their doubles/sidemount rigs as well

I'm relatively new to pony bottles. I have a question regarding storage. ... Should I remove the regulator until I'm actually using it?

dallaskincaid,

I was taught in my first open water class (1986) to thoroughly clean the reg (including its hoses) while it is connected to the cylinder and pressurized. Then remove the reg, carefully dry and put the dust cap in place, and then hang the reg (by its first stage, hoses hanging straight down if possible) to dry, away from direct sunlight. After you're sure the regulator is dry—be sure to check for pooled water—then inspect the regulator before storing the regulator out of direct sunlight either hanging as before (if all the hoses hang straight down) or flat with only maximal-radius bends in the hoses.

I still use this approach with all my regulators, including my pony bottle regulators.

When my pony bottle regulator is mounted on my pony bottle ready to dive, the 2nd stage hose has a very tight, narrow-radius, 180 degree turn in it. I wouldn't store my pony reg with this tight turn in the 2nd stage hose.

Also, one of my pony bottle regs has a 6" HP hose that is rigged the way stage bottle regs are rigged. So, the HP hose, too, has a very tight, narrow-radius, 180 degree turn in it. I wouldn't store this pony reg with this tight turn in the HP hose.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
I leave my regs on and pressurized and put my whole rig in a soaking tank, then I will take the regs off clean them up. I store all of my regs off the tanks loosely coiled so there is no strain on the hoses. I have not had any issues with any of my regulators or tanks and I gotten years of tech diving out of all of my regs.

I'm relatively new to pony bottles. I have a question regarding storage. Currently, I have been leaving the regulator on the pony and the 2nd stage attached as it would be if I was using it. Are there any issues doing it this way? Should I remove the regulator until I'm actually using it?

I would not recommend leaving it attached. The regulator is much more vulnerable to damage in the car and elsewhere when on the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom