Pony Bottles on NJ Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you don't have the desire/skills to conduct team based dives? Why you seem to take that as an insult is beyond me.

The question isn't why a bunch of guys who don't want to dive with others shouldn't take pony bottles (they probably should), the question is why competent teams can't dive together without pony bottles in NJ. My teammates are perfectly happy and capable of offering gas if needed. This is the case whether I'm in a single or doubles.

You asked the question, we offered answers, you took them and insulted us. You are looking for fight. Clearly you don't want answers you just want to make your point that you think the requirement is "silly". Cool, good for you, Jersey won't be offended if you cross it off your "to do" list.

You don't seem competent at answering questions. I asked why the rule exists. A few posters have mentioned it *might* be a law or insurance requirement, but no one has been able to say for sure. I specifically asked *you* why you though pony bottles were necessary (seeing as you said they were), but you never bothered to answer that question either.

Not a lawyer, but if it is an established local practice or standard in a region which it is in NJ and a boat operator allows you dive without one, they could be sued for negligence if you got hurt. How the practice initially got started who knows. However nothing is stopping you from taking your own boat out and doing whatever you want. Your boat - your rules.

You don't seem competent at answering questions. I asked why the rule exists. A few posters have mentioned it *might* be a law or insurance requirement, but no one has been able to say for sure. I specifically asked *you* why you though pony bottles were necessary (seeing as you said they were), but you never bothered to answer that question either.

Right! Competency would be understanding that a depending on your redundant gear is smarter than depending on some else who perhaps you just met on the boat today.

Thanks, Ken, that makes sense for why the policy might continue today even without a law or other legal requirement (as a possible CYA liability policy).

Anyone have any knowledge about how such a policy came into effect initially in NJ?

I'm just going to give up and assume you haven't bothered to read any of the posts I've made in this thread.

I *explicitly* mentioned that a pony bottle makes sense for instabuddies. I asked about solid teams not "new to each other" divers.

And yes, I'd MUCH rather rely on another smart, skilled human than a "dumb" piece of gear. Both can provide gas, but only one can provide another brain. I'm perfectly happy for you to make a different choice, though. That boats should dictate that choice (either choice, BTW, I don't particularly like boats that won't allow appropriately equipped solo divers either!), however, does strike me as silly.

Right! Competency would be understanding that a depending on your redundant gear is smarter than depending on some else who perhaps you just met on the boat today.

Interesting.

Do you know which agencies recommend a redundant air source >100'?

A quick guess where it began is that from my knowledge many wrecks bottom out over 100 feet where the agencies recommend a redundant air source. It might have started with agency standards.

Another reason might be the current here. Could you safely get back to the upline in a strong current sharing air near the end of a dive and have enough enough safe reserve to get to the surface with a safety stop. At 100 feet how long will 1000psi last even on a 130 with two stressed divers and a strong current. With the the way the weather and conditions can change, I think its a good practice in prudence to have one no matter how good your buddy is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom