Pony Bottles on NJ Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But when it comes to dress, talk, food, gestures, etc, few make claims that theirs are *safer* than those used by their immediate neighbors. Certain differences will exist for historical reasons, but that hardly means they stem from a rational basis (or shouldn't evolve).

I keep offering you the chance to say "Ya know, you're right... let's shut up and just go diving!' but your unwillingness to go there strikes me as odd. You're very conflicted and mercurial, and continue to try to shift between two topics...

1.) Solo vs team
2.) Redundant vs non-redundant

Which puts you in the very defective logical position of turning the debate into "redundant vs team" which is an argument that only you are having. On top of that you start adding other nonsense about "redundant, without proper training" vs "redundant, with proper training" and by extension "solo +/- training, with or without redundancy..."

Let me clear this up for you:

You are in fact allowed to dive with a buddy on our boat. In fact, we think it's a great way to add to the baseline level of safety achieved when you observe our policy of requiring each diver to have a redundant air supply, which we are willing to assume you are properly trained to use... because we don't want to be "big brother" and ask you to prove that you are.

I'm gonna go have a Pepsi...

:)

I keep offering you the chance to say "Ya know, you're right... let's shut up and just go diving!' but your unwillingness to go there strikes me as odd.

That's because you continue to misconstrue Rainers intentions.

He is NOT looking for answers nor is he looking to be proven wrong.

We clearly just have a different definition of redundant. I find a solid teammate to offer redundant gas if I have a problem in recreational depths. You don't. There's no right or wrong here, just a difference of opinion (obviously we each think our opinion is the safer).

If you're somehow confusing the above as having to do with solo vs. team or redundant vs non-redundant, you're missing something.

I'm gonna go have a Pepsi...

Glad to hear you're staying clear of the white stuff.

We clearly just have a different definition of redundant. I find a solid teammate to offer redundant gas if I have a problem in recreational depths. You don't.

But I do find a solid teammate to offer redundant gas if you have a problem in recreational depths. I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that I don't.

It's when you can't actually FIND that teammate that there's a problem...

And if you can't envision that that's a distinct possibility, then either you have definitely not been doing the same type of diving in the same conditions that we do here, or you tollerance for risk is higher than we are willing to accept here.

Envision what, losing a buddy (hasn't happened in hundreds off North Atlantic dives, in extremely challenging conditions) at the VERY EXACT moment I also blow a LP hose? Yeah, that's not exactly a "distinct possibility" in my book. I'd worry more about a diver losing his main cylinder and pony (or getting eaten by a Great White).

Honestly, I've had more gear failures than buddy failures over the years. And that's not a comment on how I maintain my gear...

I also get the distinct impression my risk tolerance is a lot lower than yours.

And if you can't envision that that's a distinct possibility,

OK I give up. The reason pony bottles are required on most Jersey boats is actually very secret and we just can't tell you because of where you live. Argue that one Troll-man.

Honestly, I've had more gear failures than buddy failures over the years. And that's not a comment on how I maintain my gear...

No, it's a comment about how cheap you are when you buy your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom