Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an AL30 slung on the left with I think a 26" octo hose and naked spg on 6" hose, as others have suggested. More than enough to safely terminate any dive with a safety stop in rec limits, which is where it's used. Hardly notice it in the water. I don't use it when I have a buddy.

But after reading your follow-up posts, I think better gas management/awareness or a more conservative dive plan would be more beneficial to you and your dive buddies than the pony. A pony should not be factored in to your dive plans, whether it's "extra time underwater" or "added security to others."

my dive plan doesn't require it.. nor do we make plans to run out of air and need a pony .. it's a backup.

Im just looking for ideas what size a back up would be and how it should be carried.

lanceRiley. Another thought/idea for you. For any dives involving depth over 20m we as a matter of course have a tank/reg setup slung below the boat on a 5.0-6.0m line. That's as a backup to regular air checks of our customers to try to ensure no one ever needs to use it.

I will consider this! I don't dive with dive shops safari's .. We rent a boat and get our tanks... i've dived the area a lot of times and am familiar with the UW Terrain..

I know this is a weird question. Has anyone dove with two pony tanks. I've been thinking about getting a steel 120 and attaching two aluminum 19cf tanks to the main tank with shark mfg pony bottle attachment kits. Setup would be primary reg, spg, and air control BCD octopus on main tank. Then use my Mares 25XR kit for the left and right pony tanks. Clip the left pony 2nd stage off nicely to left side of my BCD and clip the right pony 2nd stage off on the right side of my BCD. Before you say run doubles. I know I can but my go to setup is currently an aluminum 80 with a 19cf pony attached. Super quick and easy setup. The 19cf pony is super light and adding another would help balance distribution of weight and let me have better piece of mind if I have a failure at 120 feet. One 19cf is better then nothing at 120ft, but it's not enough air to do a safety stop. So my question is have you seen anyone dive with two pony's, do you see potential problems I'm not seeing, etc. I'm also primarily a solo diver.

Why not just use an aluminum 40?
Because I already have another 25XR 1st and 2nd, and figured adding another 19cf to the other side of my main tank would balance nicely. I've thought about slinging a 40cf, but it only works if I sling it by my stomach and it feels weird.

I love my 19 cf, which is slung on the left (clipped to my left shoulder d-ring and left hip d-ring). It is only 2 lbs negative (when full), has no effect on balance, and is not bothersome at all while wearing (and I'm petite). However, if you have any inkling toward tech diving later, it would be prudent to use a 30 cf or 40 cf instead so you could use it as a stage bottle later.

Of course a pony bottle doesn't negate gas management, but you know that. :)

I love my 19 cf, which is slung on the left (clipped to my left shoulder d-ring and left hip d-ring). It is only 2 lbs negative (when full), has no effect on balance, and is not bothersome at all while wearing (and I'm petite). However, if you have any inkling toward tech diving later, it would be prudent to use a 30 cf or 40 cf instead so you could use it as a stage bottle later.

Of course a pony bottle doesn't negate gas management, but you know that. :)

I think I'm going to get a 30cf or 40cf pony bottle for deeper dives and keep the 19cf for shallower dives. I've never had use my pony backup and never plan to but it makes me mentally feel better

I think I'm going to get a 30cf or 40cf pony bottle for deeper dives and keep the 19cf for shallower dives. I've never had use my pony backup and never plan to but it makes me mentally feel better

BTW, I should have mentioned that an SPG on a 6" HP hose will serve you if you progress rather than a button spg. No danglies. It's tied to always be facing you when worn.

I use a 30 for my pony and I have it slung on my right side due to a bad shoulder on my left fin that makes it hard to get it off my hip D ring. Like others have said you dont even notice it in the water. I like to be able to unclip and hand it off in case someone ever needs it. I use a button spg and have the reg bungied to the tank so its all nice and tidy, a quick pull and its deployed, and I prefer to have my backup reg on a necklace so its not in the way of the pony.

Sounds like you just want some redundancy, which is not a problem and I have no idea why everyone seems to be busting your chops for it. Personally, I would sling a 40cf tank as it practically vanishes in the water. It gives you the largest amount of redundant gas without affecting your buoyancy. Other than that you are getting into doubles or sidemount. But a 40 is easy to clip on and jump off a boat or walk it in on a shore dive, etc...

I carry mine, slung on the left side with a 40" hose stowed in rubber bungees. When I deploy I simply pull the reg from the bungees and pass it behind my neck and then into my ole mouth. Someone else mentioned a 90* elbow on the reg, I do that as well. It is extremely comfortable and easy to hand off to someone, either the reg or the whole bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom