Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big enough to get to the surface plus some reserve for stress
able to serve other purposes in the future (like a deco bottle)

al30 or al40 slung like a stage so you can see the knob and reg
40" hose will go around your head to your mouth or allow you to share the 2nd stage with a buddy

big enough to get to the surface plus some reserve for stress
able to serve other purposes in the future (like a deco bottle)

al30 or al40 slung like a stage so you can see the knob and reg
40" hose will go around your head to your mouth or allow you to share the 2nd stage with a buddy

ok al30 or al40

what does slung like a stage mean? i know some attach it to the side of the tank.. others carry it on the side like side mounted divers.

so just add a small SPG? preferably no hose? or with hose?

I’m traveling today with a 20 cu ft pony as I have 45kg baggage allowance. For my trip in September, I will probably travel with a 6 cu ft pony as I have only 28kg baggage allowance in one if the flights.

I prefer my second stage on a necklace.

Slung means clipped to shoulder and hip D ring on your bp/w. You can make the sling kit yourself with a bit of cave line, a fuel hose, marine grade hose clamp and a couple of large bolt snaps.

Unless you plan to go tech there's a point to be made for smaller pony bottles. A good way to start is with your SAC rate, then double or triple it for some stress, calculate air required for 2 minutes at your usual max depth, air used for the ascent at a slow and safe rate (use mean depth as value to make it easy), standard safety stop, and see how many litres/cuft you would need. For me, the optional safety stop being accounted for at a very high SAC rate is all the safety margin I need out of a pony for rec diving. I don't see why I should carry half a standard tank around as a bailout. So I chose 16 cuft with a bottle that is a manageable 36cm long and 10cm wide.

SPG - I use a button SPG oriented towards me to avoid more hoses bending around.

Octo, I use the standard Scubapro octo hose (longer than primary hose) for extra reach, and to be able to easily pull it around my neck to have the reg come from the right, should I every need to actually spend multiple minutes on the pony.

I like a 40, easy to sling, loads of air, and once you are accustomed to it, easy to carry.
As others have said, sling it on the left side as you would a deco tank.
Std 24" reg hose is a little bit short for comfort if you want to route the hose behind your neck when using it. 26" or 28" is better, you may even need a 30" if your top BCD D ring is low and you are tall.
I put an elbow on the second stage, hose sits more comfortable that way.
Use a naked pressure gauge on a 3" or 6" HP hose. (Button gauges are ok, but I can't see them with my old eyes).
40's are easy to rent when travelling, any dive shop that supports tech will have 40's, take your own mounting kit and you know it will fit like a glove.

Before anyone can give you advise other than what is best for themselves you need to give us a little more info on your diving and planned use.

First, will you be traveling with this? Obviously weight and size will matter here. May also effect choice of mounting.

How good are you on air? As said, knowing your actual gas usage rate will help here.

Do you want to carry the minimum to get you to the surface or do you want plenty of gas for a leisurely ascent and extended safety stop?

Do you mind a larger, heavier tank to manage on shore or boat (is there room on the boat) or would you prefer something small and easier to stow?

What are your personal must haves verses things you can compromise on?

Before anyone can give you advise other than what is best for themselves you need to give us a little more info on your diving and planned use.

First, will you be traveling with this? Obviously weight and size will matter here. May also effect choice of mounting.

How good are you on air? As said, knowing your actual gas usage rate will help here.

Do you want to carry the minimum to get you to the surface or do you want plenty of gas for a leisurely ascent and extended safety stop?

Do you mind a larger, heavier tank to manage on shore or boat (is there room on the boat) or would you prefer something small and easier to stow?

What are your personal must haves verses things you can compromise on?
Winner here. What and why are the reasons and under what conditions?

I attach my 13cf to the tank. I used it once on a 120' dive when I stupidly misjudged the air I needed to ascend. I used the pony a bit during the safety stop. I rarely dive deep now and rarely use it. I will consider it if it's a dive to 80' or more and my buddy seems a bit sketchy (that hasn't happened yet).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom