Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Is this a troll?
No...Its just how most people dive.

JeffG:
No...Its just how most people dive.

Scary, huh? Another reason to be responsible for your own safety...

Diver Dennis:
Scary, huh? Another reason to be responsible for your own safety...
or pick better buddies

Dutchman:
As an alternative air source. If my buddy runs out of air, I too might be very low. My octo's won't do him or her much good if I am out. I often wonder why anyone would op for a octo's.

OK, I'll bite.

You should plan your dives such that you always have enough gas to bail out your buddy in the event of an OOA emergency. Your buddy should be doing the same for you. Do a search on gas matching, and you'll find a ton of discussion on this topic.

Mike

Pony tank can't be a controvesal issue. If you need it, just dive with them. That's it. Who cares. It is all our safety and your comfort level. Someone like to sling it, other like to attach it to primary tank by using bracket. There is no standard and rule.

I guess that is really what it is all about. Being a good buddy but also being responsible for your own safety.

into a more positive and helpful vein.

Would I dive with my pony every time I dive? No. But when I dive below 20 meters, I almost always take mine along.

The biggest factor in my decision was the "unknown buddy problem." When I travel and dive, I am always by myself. (My wife travels with me, but is unable to dive for a variety of reasons.) It is simply impractical for me to reject buddies I don't know...I would never make a dive at all. And as many of us know, it's often the superficially impressive buddy who makes the bonehead mistakes.

What really decided me were some experiences in Key Largo with a couple buddies who basiclaly breathed themselves in an OOA situation, in spite of my checking with them every few minutes to determine their air status. If I can't depend on a buddy, I had better take every step I can to reduce the risk.

And I have never used it for extended bottom times ;-)

Back
Top Bottom