Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where you put it may well depend on what kind of diving you do. I mostly spear fish, so I need to be able to load the gun. A bottle slung under my arm is going to be a PITA in this regard. Inverted & mounted to my primary tank, with the 2nd clipped to a D ring on my right shoulder strap, it's totally out of the way.

YMMV

I mount my 19 inverted with Zeagle straps to my primary. The second stage is bungied around my neck. I also added 2 lbs of lead to my left side, 1lb in a pouch on the top band and 1lb in the Stiletto rear pouch. With the Zeagle straps you dont have to remove the pony when you change out tanks. I also use the small spg that screws into the hp port on the first stage to check pressure before and between dives.

I just started diving with a 40cf slung on my left side. I know it isn't the "optimal" redundant gas supply, but I've had too many insta-buddies and hunting buddies leave me solo diving. For me, this is another option besides the buddy and also means I have a ready made stage bottle for if and when I start diving doubles.

ibnygator:
I just started diving with a 40cf slung on my left side. I know it isn't the "optimal" redundant gas supply, but I've had too many insta-buddies and hunting buddies leave me solo diving. For me, this is another option besides the buddy and also means I have a ready made stage bottle for if and when I start diving doubles.

I've been trying to avoid stirring up the "Pony Bottle Wars" again, but I can't resist.

For people who travel and end up with "Boat Buddies", I really don't see a good alternative to a pony.

You can't take doubles on a plane, your normal buddy isn't there, and the buddy you get for the next couple of dives may be superman or a Darwin Award contestant.

There's no way to know ahead of time, so I too, bring a pony (only a 19, since it's enough to get me back from anywhere I'd go without my regular buddy).

I've been laughed at by boat crew for bringing it, but all that affects is their tip.

Terry

That's a fair enough excuse...:wink:

Web Monkey:
I've been laughed at by boat crew for bringing it, but all that affects is their tip. Terry

hoosier:
That's a fair enough excuse...:wink:

Actually, I tip really well, unless they really p*ss me off, in which case I don't.

The only boats who haven't gotten good tips were one where they kept making pony cracks, and the other who took off during a drift dive to do OW checkouts and left me floating on the surface for 45 minutes.

Terry

I remember your post at other thread about a tip. So, I know you are a good tipper.
My tip is absolutely based on their service. There is no automatic giveaway.

OE2X:
I keep mine on my buddy's back. If I'm going to sling a bottle it's for deco purposes.
:D

As an alternative air source. If my buddy runs out of air, I too might be very low. My octo's won't do him or her much good if I am out. I often wonder why anyone would op for a octo's.

Back
Top Bottom