Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulChristenson:
If you are using your pony bottle only for emergencies...that means if you switch to it, the dive is over...therefore you use your independent pressure checker to check the pressure of the pony before the dive...so you don't need an SPG attached to your pony
Paul in VT

You don't "need" an SPG on it, but it's nice to have, since it lets you know whether you have enough gas remaining to do a safety stop or not.

It may also make the gas last longer, since you'll be a little less stressed on the way up knowing exactly what's in the tank .

Terry

Web Monkey:
You don't "need" an SPG on it, but it's nice to have, since it lets you know whether you have enough gas remaining to do a safety stop or not.

It may also make the gas last longer, since you'll be a little less stressed on the way up knowing exactly what's in the tank .

Terry

Like the techies like to say....REDUCE YOUR FAILURE POINTS :)

Paul in VT

markfm:
You've had an OOA (for whatever reason, why else be on the pony), now postulating a frozen reg on the pony?

This is recreational, open water, I thought, so if switching to the pony it should be a non-obstructed ascent. If the pony reg is reasonably detuned, what's the likelihood of a freeze on it duirng the X breaths needed to make a clean ascent, with safety stop?

(I'm truly curious on this, contemplating a 19CF pony myself.)

I interpreted the initial question relating to valve access as a reference to the primary valve and not (specifically) the pony valve. The pony reg certainly should not be frozen before air is passing through the system - even in freezing water.

--Matt

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a "pony's on the back are bad because you can't play with the valve", and hit the shrug point. I've been looking at a 19CF/pony gauge/QuickDraw/reg combo.

Firediver:
I have a 19cuft, and used it the first time this weekend..... You can also use it to extend your bottom time a litte especially for that last BIG scallop.
This is not a smart idea at all.

markfm:
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a "pony's on the back are bad because you can't play with the valve", and hit the shrug point. I've been looking at a 19CF/pony gauge/QuickDraw/reg combo.

Pony's on the back are fine in my opinion with a secure attachment. Since using slung bottles I prefer that over a hard mount. You can hard mount your pony to your tank upside down for very easy access to the valve. The ability to reach your valve provides some trouble shooting options you would not otherwise have.

--Matt

Thanks, that's what I was thinking about doing.

Firediver:
You can also use it to extend your bottom time a litte especially for that last BIG scallop.

You are kidding right?

wow.
what a soap opera this thread is.
some people like back mounted ponys some dont.
i dont see all of the "why would you want tos" as productive.
better to explain why you prefer or rather not do something a certan way.

i personally like a redundat supply espically on dives where im for whatever reason without a buddy like settin the hook on a wreck.. or diving with a diver who i cant count on in a emergency (common when diving with clients)
i dive a dive rite trans pac and have my 30 cliped off on my left side. this makes it a little cumbersome when reachin across with my left hand but not too bad.
i have a SPG just so i know whats in it for piece of mind, and to see if i have enouht eft for a saftey stop if needed,
i will use this as a redundat air source or as a stage.
one think i like to do when diving in the 100 ish foot range is plan my dive for the air on my back.. deco and all.
and doin mty SS or deco will switch to the stage. that contains more o2 % just for a saftey factor.
hey to each his own.
put some thought into your setup
set up for the diving you will be doing
as long as its safe. have fun

Diesel298:
wow.
what a soap opera this thread is.
some people like back mounted ponys some dont.
i dont see all of the "why would you want tos" as productive.
better to explain why you prefer or rather not do something a certan way.

i personally like a redundat supply espically on dives where im for whatever reason without a buddy like settin the hook on a wreck.. or diving with a diver who i cant count on in a emergency (common when diving with clients)
i dive a dive rite trans pac and have my 30 cliped off on my left side. this makes it a little cumbersome when reachin across with my left hand but not too bad.
i have a SPG just so i know whats in it for piece of mind, and to see if i have enouht eft for a saftey stop if needed,
i will use this as a redundat air source or as a stage.
one think i like to do when diving in the 100 ish foot range is plan my dive for the air on my back.. deco and all.
and doin mty SS or deco will switch to the stage. that contains more o2 % just for a saftey factor.
hey to each his own.
put some thought into your setup
set up for the diving you will be doing
as long as its safe. have fun

well said, I agree completely

Back
Top Bottom