Pony bottle setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFL_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a 13 cu. ft pony bottle. I was going to have it hooked to two D-rings on the right backside of my BC facing nozzle down. Then have the regulator clipped to my BC just near my right collar bone (for immediate reach).

Any comments on this type of setup, or anything that I should do differently?

You may get more arguements on this than answers. Some here think there is only one way....theirs.....and all others are ....well lets just leave it there.

Personally I think it boils down to what your concept of the pony's purpose is. Those pro the sling method usually indicate its best that way so you can easily hand it off to someone in need.

Some of us that wear a pony for US....not to be handed off ever.... prefer some back mount system....either to the primary tank or to the cam bands holding the primary tank. If there ever is an individual requiring air support....then that is what the octo is for.

Some dont like the floppiness of the sling and others believe back mounting it causes you to continually have to compensate for an off balance roll.

I dive a bp and wing and back mount my pony on the two cam bands. I experience no roll problems at all. It is mounted valve down using the Ponease bottle mount. My right hand when falling back lands right on the valve. The pony is .... for me... an emergency bail out bottle and not a means to extend a dive. Its not to be handed off or even used ....except under extreme circumstances.....as a source of air for another diver.

Try both methods....see what is best for you....and your purpose of having a pony in the first place.

Next you might ask about the hassles of traveling with a pony.

rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom