Pony Bottle Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once had my HP hose blow out on me. I hadn't yet descended when it happened, but it sure made me appreciate the value of a redundant air source. I had recently done a dive to 120' using that same hose and had that happened at that depth I can only imagine that it would have been a very scary situation, especially without a pony. Since the leak was by the first stage I suppose there might have even been the possibility that I wouldn't have even noticed until my tank was empty. I kind of doubt that though as it made a hell of a racket on the surface.

Believe me you would have noticed it. And as someone else already pointed out, the HP port has a restriction that really slows the air down. One other thing is that hose o-rings and the little spool o-rings on SPGs will almost always fail immediately (or very soon) after pressurization. If they hold on land, they're less likely to fail under water; the pressure gradient at depth is actually lower.

I think we have set a record on SB, 2 divers with the same opinion.:D

No that would be three.

My reccomendation is the following:

13 cubic foot aluminum cylinder
Sherwood Brut or Blizard first stage regulator
A button guage for cylinder pressure
A Zeagle pony bottle strap set (weighs less than a metal mount)

For the second stage you can either screw the octopus from his current regulator system into the new first stage, or just get a complete 1st/2nd regulator set for the pony system.

All aluminum cylinders (in the USA) under 40 cubic feet in volume are the same diameter. They are just shorter or longer based on the volume.

A 13 CF cylinder will get one from 100 fsw to the surface at 30 feet per min. with no safety stop.

You must remove the valve of any cylinder to ship or check in luggage. Just put a peice of clear tape over the open end.

Believe me you would have noticed it. And as someone else already pointed out, the HP port has a restriction that really slows the air down. One other thing is that hose o-rings and the little spool o-rings on SPGs will almost always fail immediately (or very soon) after pressurization. If they hold on land, they're less likely to fail under water; the pressure gradient at depth is actually lower.

I did notice the restriction on the hose, (pinhole size), and I only ended up losing a few hundred PSI before I got the valve shut off. I still wouldn't want to make an unplanned ascent with my HP hose blowing bubbles though and if I had to do so I'd sure appreciate knowing that I had an extra 19 cf of air on my back and an extra regulator under my chin.

Another thing that I'd consider if I were buying a pony setup is just using your current regulator on the pony and buying a new one as your main regulator. If you're at all dissatisfied with your current regulator setup, now is the time to get the one you really want.

Back
Top Bottom