Pony bottle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D - You sure that is back on topic? My pony is always on and ready. Oh, it's also a little bigger!

It is not the size of the boat it is the motion of the ocean...:D

Easy Grab? LOL -
The Florida bugs - I thought you were supposed to be slow on the grab so they can't feel the water pressure as you sneak up on them?
:D The best technique in Florida is to drift above the reef and watch for the antennas sticking out from under the ledges. It's a learned skill. When you see it you drop down and, I use a loop, gently slide the end past the lobster and cautiously encourage them to come out. As they, hopefully, leave the hole you slowly open the loop and start trying to work it over the tail or carefully encourage them to move back a little until the tail is firm within the loop. Then quickly close the loop and viola! Dinner. If you miss, then it's a chase across the reef. If they manage to get in a deep hole though the chase is over. The only way to pull them out by hand injures the legs and they don't grow back so I don't risk that. Just in case I can't get it I want to make sure it survives for the next hunter.

:focus:

If you need your pony while lobstering in Florida it's probably because you lost track of your gas while chasing the lobster.

BTW. I would love to accept your challenge to try for one of your clawed monsters.

Easy Grab? LOL - come on up north and we will show you how easy that grab is NOT! Going in blind with just your little digits and trying to pin down a lobster that does not want to be dinner can be a bit exciting the first few times... maybe even painful depending on who grabs who first... :confused:

Drop one of our lobsters in a water column and they can scoot pretty quick too but they don't like coming out in the open most of the time (night time is different - not supposed to hunt at night). "New Jersey is the last state in the northeast that allows recreational lobstering without a permit, a daytime-only rule, or a season." - NJSCUBA.NET

The Florida bugs - I thought you were supposed to be slow on the grab so they can't feel the water pressure as you sneak up on them?

I've caught 100's of Maine Lobsters and 1000's of Florida bugs... Maine lobsters are much easier to catch.. Maine lobsters don't beat you up too bad when hand grabbing them, while the Florida lobsters are a thorny hazard. Of course Occasionally you can get pinched by a claw (which is not good at all) but (a lot of people don't know this) Florida lobsters can literally bite the ends of your fingers off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom