pony bottle evaluation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voidware

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was doing some NC wreck dives (god, I love 'em) and realized that I needed a pony bottle. I went to the LDS and ordered one. The point is eventually, I would like to use it as a deco bottle. So, I got a 30 ft3 aluminum (DIN) and an OMS deco regulator (the green one) with a button pressure guage. The LDS said that if he filled it with clean air then it would be OK for high O2 mixes. I am only basic nitrox, so I am only familiar with <40% mixes.

Is this acceptable for the basic deco I will be doing in the future?

brandon

Originally posted by voidware
I was doing some NC wreck dives (god, I love 'em) and realized that I needed a pony bottle. I went to the LDS and ordered one. The point is eventually, I would like to use it as a deco bottle. So, I got a 30 ft3 aluminum (DIN) and an OMS deco regulator (the green one) with a button pressure guage. The LDS said that if he filled it with clean air then it would be OK for high O2 mixes. I am only basic nitrox, so I am only familiar with <40% mixes.

Is this acceptable for the basic deco I will be doing in the future?

brandon
There are some key requirements for oxygen clean/oxygen service rating, and "clean air" ain't one of 'em.
First, unless the cylinder arrives rated for oxygen, it must be cleaned. Then only oxygen clean & service rated o-rings must be used to install the oxygen clean & service rated valve. The tank must then never be filled with anything other than pure oxygen or "oxygen compatible" gas, or it loses its oxygen service rating. If your shop means "oxygen compatible" when they say "clean" they should say so - "oxygen compatible" carries very stringent, very specific limits on what can be in it.
Do not accept any deviation from the standard.
Getting casual around oxygen will kill you in a heartbeat.
If you're going to use high oxygen deco mixes, and especially pure oxygen, your regulator must meet the same specifications.
Rick

I use a small 19 my self but I am still new-learning on the tec side=-)

What made you realize you need a pony bottle?

I have a 19 ft3 for diving off the jersey coast and a 13 ft3 for traveling. My is strictly for emergency ( it has the same air in it from last year). I'm still diving with a single tank, but eventualy will go to independent doubles and do away with the pony. That's about the only way I will dive without a pony.. and most boats here won't let you on without a "true" alternative air source.

Ty

O-ring, the fact that my buddy isn't always right at my side and I really don't want to do an emergency ascent from 110'.

tchil01, jersey dive boats really won't let you on the boat unless you have an independent air source?

brandon

Originally posted by voidware
O-ring, the fact that my buddy isn't always right at my side and I really don't want to do an emergency ascent from 110'.

tchil01, jersey dive boats really won't let you on the boat unless you have an independent air source?

brandon

Yeah... I was even told it was a Jersey State requirement when I first started diving, but I haven't had that confirmed... but I've never met anyone on a Jersey boat without some sort of independent air source... and most boats have it right in their rules when you sign up.

Ty

That way you don't end up E-baying it when you get into more technical stuff and don't need/can't use the pony?

Originally posted by tchil01
I have a 19 ft3 for diving off the jersey coast and a 13 ft3 for traveling. My is strictly for emergency ( it has the same air in it from last year). I'm still diving with a single tank, but eventualy will go to independent doubles and do away with the pony. That's about the only way I will dive without a pony.. and most boats here won't let you on without a "true" alternative air source.

Ty

If you are planning on switching to doubles stay away from independent doubles. An isolator manifold is the preferred route.. Using independent doubles can be safe but requires much more attention and has another guage hanging around to get snagged.. There are more down sides than up sides when it comes to independent doubles.. They require special procedures and still don't have the same backup as with manifolded doubles.

case in point.. not following switches at least every 1/6.. primary out of gas , switch to backup that you realize has a problem... you are F*****d, manifolded doubles, you wouldn't have been out of gas at this point.. You don't carefully monitor your gas switches and 1 tank goes to low but other tank is full, but reg is bad, you are screwed, with manifolds both regs are available to both cylinders..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom