Pony bottle/alternate air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citykid

Contributor
Reaction score
To the ones who dive with these. What is your set up?
Another seperate 1st & 2nd stage? Or bottle with mouth piece connected.
Would the 2nd stage be positioned not near your octo (only for you, not buddy's)?
Do you turn on the air before you enter the water? Every time?
What size bottle?

Thanks all.

I Use A Seperate 1 St And 2nd With A Spg Clipped Right Below My Primary 2 Nd Stage. 13cf Opened Prior To Getting In

I dive doubles with a 40cf slung with a 1st and 2nd stage attached to the bottle. I check the tank using an stand alone SPG on the surface so I don't have an SPG clipped onto it, if I am on this I am on my way to the surface anyway. 40 cf should last me 20 minutes at least . . .

I currrently use a 13 slung with a short SPG and bungied octo, it looks almost identical to the image shown in Jibeho's post in the thread below. I use only 1st and 2nd stage but am considering changing it out. I bought a used Nitrox 30 & 40 recently and they came with a 1st stage set up with a bite valve and I am itching to see how well it works out. If I like the bite valve I may use it and a DIN rather than yoke valve to get a little more streamlined configuration.

p.s. If you get the info you need you may want to shut down this thread or run as far away as possible, the anti-pony crowd will smell blood in the water soon enough and start posting....It'll get ugly then "over 600 men went into the chatroom.......only 300 came out".....

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=160800&page=2&highlight=pony+slung

party-smiley-020.gif

I thot we were overdue for one of these. It's been weeks. :confused:

19 cf, goes everywhere I go, goes in when I do, slung with Spg and second stage on long enough hose and hung from my BC in easy to grab holder.

If you don't turn it on before you go it, you'll get water in the hose, eventually the first stage and tank valve. :silly: I have let that happen. At least charge it before you go in, but I leave mine on and ready for anyone to grab.

Party time....

party-smiley-052.gif

119cf on my back, with long hose primary and bungied alternate.

40cf slung on left side, with 1st/2nd stage, SPG.

Sling bottle "turned on" when I enter the water. If I need it, I want it ready.

I use a 19 cu. ft. with 1st and 2nd stage. On when I hit the water.

JR

How many of you use a single tank set up and are recreational divers as opposed to tech divers? I dont use a pony or aa source but have thought about it. I have an octo of course, but nothing redundant like a pony. I have an extra 1st and second to use on one, but i have a few questions:

1. Is it difficult to travel with?
2. Is it difficult to get it filled by the dive op?
3. Isnt it quite a bit more weight?
4. Is it really necessary for warm water recreational diving?
5. Have you personally ever had an aao on your personal gear that caused you to need it?

I am also concerned about it being bulky. Unless I attach it to my primary tank on my back. I dont like anything hanging from my bc if I can avoid it.

Thoughts?

I dive singles, either AL80 or HP100, and I have recently added a 30cf pony to my setup. I wear it slung on my left side with a good quality, environmentally sealed 1st and 2nd stage, 40" yellow hose and a brass and glass spg on a 6" hose. When I wear it, I keep it on but turn down the 2nd stage as low as it will go. If I need it, I want it on and ready. I also want to prevent any flooding. It's new and I'm still getting used to it so I can't really comment yet upon how easy it is to use. I plan on using it on all deep dives below 60' and any dive where I'm with a new buddy or an instabuddy.

bentex:
How many of you use a single tank set up and are recreational divers as opposed to tech divers? I dont use a pony or aa source but have thought about it. I have an octo of course, but nothing redundant like a pony. I have an extra 1st and second to use on one, but i have a few questions:

1. Is it difficult to travel with?
2. Is it difficult to get it filled by the dive op?
3. Isnt it quite a bit more weight?
4. Is it really necessary for warm water recreational diving?
5. Have you personally ever had an aao on your personal gear that caused you to need it?

I am also concerned about it being bulky. Unless I attach it to my primary tank on my back. I dont like anything hanging from my bc if I can avoid it.

Thoughts?

Hey Bentex, here's my shot at your questions.
I am a "recreational" diver that dives single tank.
1. Redundant air is required for New Jersey wreck dives. I've never traveled with it.
2. I never have a problem getting it filled. But shops in NJ consider them normal :D
3. Weight wise, I dopped a few pounds of lead when I first started with the pony.
4. Is is necessary in warm water? Not to start the flame war but is redundancy ever a bad decision?
5. I never had to use it (thankfully) but I practice with it a lot.

JR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom