Pony bottle/alternate air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sling a 40cf for NJ diving which is more WRECK than REC, if you will. I'm not quite tech, but heading that way. Got the 40 in anticipation of needing a deco bottle at some point.

1. Is it difficult to travel with?
Nope, I just put it in the car with the rest of my gear :D

2. Is it difficult to get it filled by the dive op?
Nope, I think they hook them up to the compressor the same way. :D

3. Isnt it quite a bit more weight?
Nope; AL40 is only a few pounds neg at most

4. Is it really necessary for warm water recreational diving?
Well, I dive in NJ so I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "warm" water. :D But seriously, what does water temp have to do with it? (I know the answer, but it has nothing to do with it.)

5. Have you personally ever had an aao on your personal gear that caused you to need it?
Nope, but I haven't needed fire insurance for my home yet either :D

Running out of air.... Shouldnt happen due to failing to check a gauge.

Can happen due to first or second stage failiure, O-ring failiure on A-clamp, a frozen first stage creating a freeflow, even a not-noticed but stuck SPG as a result of salt water ingress.

Back on subject, I like the DIR stage sling method now. Like I said, I used to mount the pony on my tank using a home made bracket (that did not look homemade) but the sling method has so many positives it is hard to resist.

Positives like better streamilining, less tangle prone, more access to valve and regulator for operational checks and verification, can be handed off if need be or even, if need be, detached and used.

N

If you don't dive with a buddy team you will kill yourself :shakehead :rofl3:

I guess I could remove my dentures, if he doesn't like my smile....??

I dive with a Manta mouthpiece, but that could make the pony reg a challenge... :silly:

In the real world these dont exist. Not until we can start mass producing robotic slaves with that sole purpose.
Ooooo I want one. Can I carry it on...?

DandyDon:
Ooooo I want one. Can I carry it on...?

As long as it fits within the TSA regulated space. . . oh yeah and doesn't have more then, is it 3 ounces, of liquid. . .

One of my buddies uses a Spare Air Clipped to the top left D-Ring. He has used it just for practice at 25 feet is was good for him to make it to the surface.

My other comon buddy uses a 19cf pony mounted to his primary tank with the 2nd stage in a holder on the right side of his BC. He was using his scooter one day (Solo no flameing here just a story) and the 2nd stage free flowed and bled the tank down.

I think I would go with the bigger pony slung so you can see the valve and if it free flows it will be obvious.

I don't have a pony or AA yet I am still looking at options.

Just my opinion.

If I can get a clone of myself that poor SOB is going to work and I am going diving....:eyebrow: Does Leisure pro sell these yet or LDS only???

String:
Its back to the 100% buddy-clone that can shadow you 24/7 anywhere on the planet purely for your own diving benefit.
In the real world these dont exist. Not until we can start mass producing robotic slaves with that sole purpose.

Back
Top Bottom