Pony back-mounted on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Took the plunge and ordered a DSS BP/W with Hogarthian harness to replace my jacket style bc. Never dived a BP/W before. I was wondering whether it is possible to mount my 19 cu ft pony to the main tank. I want to avoid slinging the pony on my chest because it interferes with photography. I guess my concern is that I won't be able to reach the pony valve because the wing is in the way, or, alternatively, the pony interferes with the wing in the first place. Are there other options, for example clipping the pony into the holes along the edge of the back plate?

I have seen pony brackets for your main tank. However, I sling mine and I don't even notice it taking pictures most of the time. The only time I have to even touch it is when I get really close to the bottom. Pretty rare and the added comfort of knowing that the tank hasn't bubbled dry is important to me.

check the zeagle pony bands.. that's what i've used on my BP/W
check golem gear for the armadillo CCR kit... you can then sidemount your bailout bottle

The pony can be mounted on the main tank without it interfering with the wing. Some folks mount the pony "upside down" so they can reach the valve more easily. The tank would be low enough to where the wing isn't in the way.

I used to mount. Now I sling. My camera setup is small so slinging isn't an issue for me.

I would sling it (clip off chest and hip D-ring). This way you have easy access to it and can see a leak/fix an issue should it occur. By having both tanks out of direct sight/access, you are somewhat negating the reason for having a pony: easily accessible redundancy.

If you sling a tank properly, you can do everything as normal. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

I assume you dive solo (by posting in this forum) and as such you do not have a buddy to keep an eye on things for you.

By having both tanks out of direct sight/access, you are somewhat negating the reason for having a pony: easily accessible redundancy.

This is a good point and I have thought a lot about it. Thank you all for your helpful info! I guess I may end up slinging and see how it treats me.

Many of the tech dive spearos mount pony bottle and deco gas upside down mounted to main tank. Both valves remain off untill used.
Eric

Many of the tech dive spearos mount pony bottle and deco gas upside down mounted to main tank. Both valves remain off untill used.
Eric

I have never seen this. Especially not with deco gas.

Hi all,

Took the plunge and ordered a DSS BP/W with Hogarthian harness to replace my jacket style bc. Never dived a BP/W before. I was wondering whether it is possible to mount my 19 cu ft pony to the main tank. I want to avoid slinging the pony on my chest because it interferes with photography. I guess my concern is that I won't be able to reach the pony valve because the wing is in the way, or, alternatively, the pony interferes with the wing in the first place. Are there other options, for example clipping the pony into the holes along the edge of the back plate?

Here's a picture of how I mount my pony to my main tank. It works great, and is easy to get to...

Backmounted Pony

Here's a picture of how I mount my pony to my main tank. It works great, and is easy to get to...

Backmounted Pony

That's a great way of doing it. Now, if you can tell me how you fly to any destination in the world with your pony setup, I'm going to start using this setup this very minute...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom