Pony back-mounted on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Based on the variety of input, I've decided to sling the pony and see how it treats me. If I sling it right, perhaps it doesn't get in the way and just concept-wise, I like the slinging option a lot better than the back-mount.

Just for the sake of discussion, I do not back mount I sling also.
The florida single tank tec rig consists of a hp 120w/H-valve, and both your pony and deco gas mounted inverted to main tank so the whole rig will stand up by itself. The h valve 2nd reg is usually on a knecklace, and the pony reg is stowed. The h valve provides redundancy for reg or hose failure, and the pony is for oh snit failure.
I think the concept of the pony in this application is the same for tec as it is rec. The pony bottle provides enough gas for you to blow bag and ascend post haste to your deepest deco gas stop, or your safety stop, dive over in either case. The only differance I can see is that if you are deep 30cubic feet goes quick, and you may have to omit a few deep stops if they were in the plan.
I asked a tec spearhead with a billion dives, and a dozen instructor certs why the back mount rig, and his reply was very short. When battling a 40# plus fish you shafted at 220' any bottles slung in the front is a liability.
Eric

That's a great way of doing it. Now, if you can tell me how you fly to any destination in the world with your pony setup, I'm going to start using this setup this very minute...

Oversize luggage and buku overweight fees :wink:

I also have an AL19 that I have brought to a couple locations. Lately, though, I've just been bringing a steel clamp and rigging up a pony from what the resort has. AL 50s are pretty common.

I like to have an SPG, but that's just convenience. With no SPG, you still need to verify its full before the dive, and without an SPG, that's just one extra step.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom