Pony back-mounted on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess you have to have a pretty good memory so you can remember which reg is which in an emergency:eek:

My thinking exactly..... an if you get the right one..... how much gas do you have?

My thinking exactly..... an if you get the right one..... how much gas do you have?

For single tank diving, does it really matter how much air is in the pony? Once you go to the pony, you are (should be) going up in an expediant manner.

I have my pony back mounted and have no means to check if it is full when underwater. It would be simple to run another pressure guage on a long hose, but the clutter is not worth the hassle for me.

I would like to know what gas I have and how much at all times. If I go on a pony and have enough gas to do a (safety/deco) stop, I would like to do that. Knowing how much gas I have gives me options. If I am running out (for whatever reason) I would like to know in advance so I can dump stuff in due time should I have to and make a run for it. But this is just my need for info.

For single tank diving, does it really matter how much air is in the pony? Once you go to the pony, you are (should be) going up in an expediant manner.

I have my pony back mounted and have no means to check if it is full when underwater. It would be simple to run another pressure guage on a long hose, but the clutter is not worth the hassle for me.

Agree..

I think it is just personal preference. Even Halycon is selling a pony band.

We are talking about a rec. diving here. Once you need a pony in UW, it is time you call a dive.

Agree..

I think it is just personal preference. Even Halycon is selling a pony band.

We are talking about a rec. diving here. Once you need a pony in UW, it is time you call a dive.
I agree that everything here is preference. Not sure how the Halcyon comment fits in though.....?

We are talking about solo diving and when it comes to self reliance, for me, knowing what is going on and what the status is of my rig is paramount. This is regardless of doing a tech dive or a rec dive.

I had the same issue although I dive a harness and wing. I was concerned about the pony getting in the way when I filmed on the bottom, or shifting as I was filming. Decided to mount my pony upside-down on my main tank so I could easily reach the valve with my left hand (holding the camera in my right hand makes it difficult to reach over my left shoulder). It has worked well for me. When I add a larger (30-40 cu ft) pony for really deep dives, I butt mount that tank and can still reach the valve.

I agree that everything here is preference. Not sure how the Halcyon comment fits in though.....?

We are talking about solo diving and when it comes to self reliance, for me, knowing what is going on and what the status is of my rig is paramount. This is regardless of doing a tech dive or a rec dive.

Good if you can agree with one part.

I think there is a big difference because rec. range doesn't require any mandatory stop (even a safety stop isn't mandatory one). So, the actual min. to use a pony bottle is very limited in a rec. range. And, 19CF will provide a plenty of time.

BTW, just out of curiosity, are you a solo diver?

As for Halcyon band, I believe that Halcyon fits to the most conservative diving concept.

To OP, as you see, it is your preference.

There were some comments in here talking about a inverted pony and deco bottles, that clearly is beyond rec diving. But alas. That is nit picking. Decision was made that this discussion is framed within NDL rec diving.

Yes I do dive solo, not all the time, but regularly.

And you will find that Halcyon calls that "pony band" you mention a 'bottle holder for drysuit inflation' But I guess it can be used for a pony bottle...:blinking:

I am not sure how a slung 19cf pony might interfere with a diver taking photos ....I hope the OP might could barrow a slung pony rig and give it a try prior to making a rock solid decision as to mounting the tank. Slinging the tank is IMHO far better than mounting to the back gas tank in many regards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom