Ponce de Leon Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This past weekend was the finest Ponce de Leon weekend that I can remember. Friday night was my friend’s birthday. Erica at Vortex baked her cake shaped like a scuba tank. We wanted to do a Friday night dive to mark the birthday but after a meal at Sally’s – free dessert for the birthday girl - there was no room for a dive. Some fireworks, a bottle of champagne, and presents capped off the night as done.

Next day we awakened late and drove to Morrison for an adventure and – believe me – an adventure it was. The river is almost to the block wall and the water temperature on the surface is 61 degrees. We met some folks from South Carolina who wanted to make the dive but aborted. We chatted for a while and found that one of them worked for the national park service. They went their merry ways and we set out to find the cave.

The water – consistency of chocolate milk – didn’t give out its secrets easily. A young man from Hurlburt Field finally found entrance to the cave and marked it. We followed his line and found clear, warm water at the entrance to the chimney.

We looked around and found lots of sea urchin detritus and found it truly exciting that we could shine the HID up through the chimney and find only darkness. Our ascent through the layers of black, orange, red and finally light was forevermore interesting.

Vortex proved to be cloudy too. The onslaught of students caused the spring to cloud up. Even in the entrance to the cave we found silt silt silt. We found some interesting turtle remnants in the cave and did two trips to the second restriction. It was really disorienting to find the entrance to the cavern silted after dark.

We ran into some folks from the Bammer City Fire Department and Police Department. What a fine bunch they turned out to be. None - however - claimed the Auburn cup that was left in my room. Man - I enjoyed their stories.

All-in- all it was an educational and entertaining experience. We might have gone to Cypress with Bugman but didn’t get up early enough.

Wait a minute Tom. There is one of us from Bammer city that claimed the cup. Not all people from Tuscaloosa are brainwashed!!!! I have had season tickets to the loveliest village on the plain for 9 years now. Some people, like us, are just born with a good sense of direction.

It was great getting to meet some of the people we see post on here in person.

I wish that guy would have left his line in!!!! We searched the bottom of Morrison for a while looking for the entrance, on our hands and knees in complete darkness. And yes it was cold.

frosty

It is pretty sad when you can count Morrison as a blackwater dive.

Was great meeting you and hope to dive with you again real soon.

Are you referring to the cup????????????

NoImCorky:
I'm just glad that you picked up your trash:)

...Come to think of it, it was a cup with an Auburn Normal School logo.:11doh: :11doh: :11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom