Pompano Beach Shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahaught

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in Pompano beach from 6/21-6/29 and would like to do a little shore diving. Can anyone give me specifics on locations? Also what are the safety requirements? Where should I rent gear from?

I am also booked with Parrot Island Scuba for 2 boat dives.

Thanks,
Adam

I have dove Pompano and it has a nice little ledge, but if you will go to Commercial Blvd South one block is Datura Ave, south two blocks is Hibiscus Ave both are great shore dives. You will swim out almost even with the end of the pier before you drop and swim east, you can see the first and second reef this way.

Remember you can not enter the water when Life guards are present, but you can exit on public beaches. Always bring a dive flag. Have fun :)

Remember you can not enter the water when Life guards are present, but you can exit on public beaches. Always bring a dive flag. Have fun :)

It's been a while since I've done a beach dive, is it not permitted to dive off the beach? Does this apply to LBTS? If so, do you have to wait until lifeguards turn their back, then dash for the beach?

LOL no mad dash required ....
We just dive the beaches that do not have a lifeguard on duty. But if you want to dive a beach with a lifeguards yes you have to wait until they are not on duty :wink:

Private beach is the areas in front of the condos. They normaly do not have lifeguards:) This is how I sneak my dog into the ocean lol now that is a mad dash lol

FYI... you do need to watch where you park if you are diving in front of the condos. Some places have spots for public parking and some do not. The blue hairs (bless their hearts) that tend to live the in condos and have nothing better to do than monitor the parking spaces will come out and let you know in very forceful tones that you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PARK THERE and they will have you towed. This may happen even if you are just parking there for a minute to unload your gear. Take it from someone who has had their mermaid tale almost chewed off :)

Ah, a fellow Oklahoman who knows good diving!
I just printed out the tide tables for Lauderdale-by-the-Sea during late June and July, the dive specs for Blue Heron Bridge, the OWD boat trips for South Florida Diving Headquarters -- I'm getting excited! :D

If you are at Datura Ave. on the 28 or 29, you might see us there. My husband and I do morning dives, and we usually just stick with the Snorkel Trail. Just 10 to 15 feet about 100 to 300 feet off shore, excellent diving, visibility, marine life, coral... just stay clear of the fishermen on Anglin Pier and fly your dive flag. Very good rinse showers and nearby restaurants, too.
We dove with Scubatyme just before Hurricane Dennis came through, at Hillsboro Ledge. Quite breathtaking. Hence checking the local dive itineraries.
Deep Blue Divers is on Ocean Drive, just around the corner from Datura entrance. And Fill Express is a great shop on Dixie Highway. We used their Nitrox.

The down side... the weekend has low tides at 10:11 am and 11:12 am. It's a bit early for a night-to-dawn dive with high tides at 3.39 am and 4:42 am, but Monday would be sweet at 5:47 am high tide and sunrise at 6:31 am. Just sayin.
Parking in limited and fought over, and we have had a machine eat our quarters and then break down. So we stay at a nearby hotel and walk over. Veeerry sweet. That's what going back four years out of five will do for ya.
And get some information on sea lice (seabather's eruption, from the larval form of thimble jellyfish.) Our youngest was not amused. Interestingly, her friend was taking Benedril for car sickness and didn't break out.

Good luck on your trip, and also, check in with the forum when you get there. You may have luck finding some people getting a group together at LBTS, or another site.
Goodbye, 5-mil and arms-length visibility -- hello, Florida! :10:

I will be in Pompano beach from 6/21-6/29 and would like to do a little shore diving. Can anyone give me specifics on locations? Also what are the safety requirements? Where should I rent gear from?

I am also booked with Parrot Island Scuba for 2 boat dives.

Thanks,
Adam

In Pompano Beach I go to SE 8th Street; in LBTS just south of the Commercial Blvd. fishing pier. Bring lots of change for the parking meters. Do not park anywhere else. I would rent from Force-E on Atlantic Blvd. in Pompano. The manager's name is Gary, like me. You must have a dive flag and stay well away from the pier itself. You can check at the dive shop for specifics.

You will love diving with Parrot Island. DM Mike is the most laid-back and fun person on a boat. You can tell him that Gary from Chicago sends regards....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom