• DiversDiscount

Votes: 22 10.1%
  • DiveUS

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 12.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say, as a well-informed store employee of a local dive shop, I am amazed at some of the good points posted here and also the unbelievably mind-numbing idiocy.

In a free market economy, competition IS the backbone. Very true, that. Consumers will shop for the best deal possible and a fixed price is not a represntation of that. Local dive shops must not demand blind loyalty from their customers based soley on their service.

However, we will NEVER be able to compete with the Diver's Directs or the Leisure Pros of the world because they deal in high volume and illicitly acquired gear from overseas.

But the mother of all Anna Nicole Smith logic that I have ever seen on this board has to be the philosophy that "If it breaks down, I'll just buy a new one because I paid very little for it, anyway."

Let me tell you something, folks. When that half-assed, counterfiet reg that you bought goes **** on you, it's going to either ruin your already-expensive dive vacation or it will be when you're at 80 feet. Do you really want to trust your life with gear that came from an unauthorized and suspect online warehouse?

Yes, I wish I could be more competetive with prices. I hate losing good customers to online services. But in the same way that my favorite local record store can't compete with Virgin or Best Buy, I guess local dive shops will just have to either adapt or go the way of the independent owner.

In the meantime, have fun trying to get that online reg of yours serviced or repaired by the manufacturer. I can give you Seaquest's number. Tell them you got it from Leisure Pro, and then see if you can count on one hand the number of seconds it takes them to hang up on you.

with scuba-accessories.com for shears. slap straps and a whistle. Also, LeisurePro definately has the best prices so far that I've seen on the net.

gilgripper once bubbled...
However, we will NEVER be able to compete with the Diver's Directs or the Leisure Pros of the world because they deal in high volume and illicitly acquired gear from overseas.

----------------------

I guess I'm puzzled when you cite "illicitly acquired gear." You mention one manufacturer and one seller; perhaps that instance is true or perhaps not -- I have no knowledge of that particular (non)relationship.

But your allegation seems to use a rather broad brush on illicit gear. I do have direct experience with multiple manufacturers and Divers Direct, and have never encountered any such problem. I'd like to know more specifics, please.

I certainly would like to use my local dive shop; indeed, I tried last month to purchase 2 full-face mask systems with comm from my local Sarasota LDS -- about $3,200 in toto -- after a couple of store visits to look at them and talk about them with the owner. I couldn't even get her to return three phone calls to place the order... if this is typical LDS service, then Divers Direct (78 miles away) beats the LDS (23 miles away) hands-down. Granted, one specific instance with one specific shop, but I am the (paying) customer and I can't even get them to make a local call to take my credit card number?!?

It's a two-way street: Buyers know LDSs can't beat 'em on price, so if they want to survive, they need to watch their level of customer service.

If they aren't there to take my plastic, are they going to be there when I need warranty or annual service? And what does sloppiness in sales bespeak of the quality of maintenance service and repairs -- ist that suffering, too? When you fly on a commercial airliner that's dirty inside, do you wonder whether other little things -- like maintaining the engines and flight gear -- are also suffering from the same neglect?

Things that make you go, "Hmm-m-m-m..."

downinFL, you raise a good point about my "painting with broad strokes" and I should be more specific.

There are several top manufacturers - much to the chagrin of many local Florida dive shops, I learned - that do authorize some of the bigger wharehouses to sell their products. Oceanic is one that I can think of, and to combat the unfair competition between large chains and small shops they have MRP's that no provider can break. I know they still preach against online discounters, but I don't know their official policy. (I may have slept through that part of the seminar or gone to take a squirt.) What I do know is that if any online company is selling their stuff below established MRP's they are certainly not an authorized dealer and will no doubt screw you.

Mares - who make some of the best regs and the greatest fins in the world - will sell to anyone with a pulse and a storefront, be it a web banner or an actual building. They are seedy. The bumout is that they have some great stuff in their lines.

I suppose I'm thinking of Seaquest when I talk about illicitly acquired gear. I'm a die-hard fan of the entire Aqualung/Apeks/Seaquest line so before I go any further I should make it abundantly clear that I'm a little biased. =)

I know that I have had experiences where my shop found out another retailer 40 miles down the road was selling gear under MRPs set by SeaQuest and we informed our sales rep who promptly stripped the offending store of their entire SeaQuest line. They really don't screw around when it comes to that stuff, and I think the only reason they haven't successfully put Leisure Pro out of buisiness is due to legal loopholes. I've seen a copy of AquaLung's policy for online discounters, and it's pretty clear - Dive shops and scuba centers are the backbone of our industry; If it's being sold online, we will not warranty it. Case Closed. It's actually quite impressive.

Some companies care, others don't really give two hoots. My shop sells stuff from some of both. The bottom line is, dive shops provide a full package that includes service, reliability, around-the-corner accessibility and a full manufacturer-backed warranty. I'm just hoping that enough people to keep our business alive feel the same way.

Nice analogy about the commercial airliners, by the way. I may use that myself.

Strangely enough, I don't have an opinion of who is best. I have used Leisure Pro, Dive Inn, Scuba Toys and Divers Discount and I have never had a problem with any of them. They all provided excellent service as I far as I am concerned.

astrl :)

I have used Lp quite a bit ....Dive Inn too but there prices have seemed to have gone up lately and for some hard to get things GO Dive in Derby UK, Mark there has been really super to deal with.
Rob

gilgripper once bubbled...

I know that I have had experiences where my shop found out another retailer 40 miles down the road was selling gear under MRPs set by SeaQuest and we informed our sales rep who promptly stripped the offending store of their entire SeaQuest line. They really don't screw around when it comes to that stuff, and I think the only reason they haven't successfully put Leisure Pro out of buisiness is due to legal loopholes.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I have to say something. Many suspect the scuba industry of anti competitive practices. Statements like this one fuel that fire greatly. Let me give you my interpretation of the above statement.

My shop found out that a shop 40 miles down the road was attempting to sell equipment at a competitive price so we got him busted. The only reason we haven't been able to put Leisure Pro out of business is because they are big enough to be able to legaly defend themselves and the damned FTC seems to agree with them!

I truely want to support local business. I do see the value in advice. There IS, however, a limit to that. There are many people that come to there own decisions about there equipment and just seek a good deal. There are many (definately not all) LDS's that use the warranty issue as their only means to make a sale. They claim service but do not deliver.

I have tried on numerous ocasions to give my LDS a shot at my business. They have not been helpful in gear selection or fit. I have made ALL of my equipment decisions without their help and when I walk in ,tell them exactly what I want to "special order" (because they rarely have high end euipment in stock), they want 100% of the MRSP. They also want me to pay in advance. SO, they use my money to order the equipment I chose on my own, hand it to me over the counter, and they don't even say thank you for making them a tiddy little profit.

I can't speak for every LDS I know there are good ones out there, but unfortunately I am not one of those lucky people. Given my circumstances Why would I go to the LDS.

I just bought a camera from Adorama (downstairs from LP, same guys) for about a hundred bucks less than The Wiz. When I asked them about the warranty, re the guys upstairs, they were quick to point out that all the camera stuff, and everything else
sold from that building, came with factory warranties. Except for the scuba stuff.

I purchased most of my dive gear from diversdiscount with no problem. But, I am not happy with last two orders because it took them too long to ship them.
However, I had problem with my regulator and they were ready to take care of it with no extra charge.
To answer gilgripper, I bought my gear from authorized dealers.
I can give you the phone number for Tusa, Sherwood, Genesis, Akona, Dacor, Aeris, Oceanic, Dive Rite, Henderson, Sea & Sea, etc. and tell them you got the gear from online authorized dealers, and then see if they will hang up on you or help you out.
I know that some manufacturers do not permit online stores, like Seaquest’s and Scuba Pro.
Before you buy any gear go to the manufacturer’s home page and check if that store is an authorized dealer.
Just do not scare divers with a lie the LDS like to tell. “YOU WILL LOSE THE WARANTY IF YOU BUY THE GEAR ONLINE”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom