Poll: Where were you (first) introduced to the frog kick (mastery not required)?

Poll: Where were you (first) introduced to the frog kick (mastery not required)?

• Basic Open Water

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • Advanced Open Water

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Rescue Diver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Master Diver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cavern/Intro to Cave/Intro to Tech

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • GUE (any course)

• private instruction/mentoring (paid or otherwise)

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • self taught/YouTube

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • other

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • The what?! I don't know that...

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think the breaststoke kick which is mentioned by some posters here is the same as a proper frog kick.
I had to relearn the kick in the fundamentals as the kick that I was doing and I thought it was a frog kick was essentially a breaststrock kick.
So for me the answer would be in fundamentals

It was during PP Buoyancy course.

I voted other. I observed the most relaxed/controlled diver in the group, then emulated what they did.

I first heard the term used when I went to the cenotes, but I didn't really know what the DM was talking about. I understood the concept of why in the cenotes and just mimicked the DM (my first few kicks were more like a dolphin, kicking up TONS of sand, lmao). Then I discovered the Board and read about it a lot on here, so I switched my style up and kept with it because I like it. I never had any instruction on any kicks besides the flutter, and I probably should hire someone one day to coach me properly with different techniques.

I do not think the breaststoke kick which is mentioned by some posters here is the same as a proper frog kick.
I had to relearn the kick in the fundamentals as the kick that I was doing and I thought it was a frog kick was essentially a breaststrock kick.
So for me the answer would be in fundamentals

Many posters have commented that the breaststroke kick is essentially the same as a frogkick. I don't agree with this but it is not worth arguing it.

Many posters have commented that the breaststroke kick is essentially the same as a frogkick. I don't agree with this but it is not worth arguing it.

Maybe they're not, but you have to admit they are fairly similar. I have never been formally taught how to do a frog kick, but the frog that I do is not exactly like the way I do a breaststroke kick. My breaststroke kick also does not look like it does in the "how-to" videos on youtube either. (it's actually closer to frog, lol)

I do not think the breaststoke kick which is mentioned by some posters here is the same as a proper frog kick...
Well, no... we didn't use fins :)
But, as a practitioner of the frog kick with and without fins, the technique is essentially the same. There is a slight difference in foot orientation between the two to get max thrust, but not really enough to spit at. The "modified frog" we use in scuba for very silty conditions is a different animal entirely and would be very inefficient as a breast stroke kick (just imagine the body position you'd have to take to keep your feet in the water swimming on the surface).
Rick

We introduce a frog kick in all of our basic open water classes, in part because we train in a local reservoir with a very silty and easily stirred up bottom. Also, when I did my open waters in Maui, long ago, my instructor taught and modeled a frog kick when "bottom cruising" even in sandy areas. Along with the frog kick is body position, feet elevated above the head.
DivemasterDennis

I've been diving like this for over twenty years after seeing my mate Bob use it in the early nineties. I tried it, found it more efficient, more comfortable, non-silting and it didn't give me cramp.

Didn't know it had a fancy name like 'frog kick' or 'modified frog kick' or that many other people used it until t'interweb came along. Didn't know that adapting it for going backwards or turning had special names like 'back finning' or 'helicopter turns' either, they were just things I could do and did do.

It might not be a proper breast stroke kick but my neither was my actual breast stroke kick ;-0 (back crawl was my competitive stroke) but it's close enough a description to get people started on kicking this way and then fine tune it.

I see absolutely no merit in or need for flutter kicking as main form of propulsion therefore fins that are designed to perform only in a flutter kick (such as splits or those weird expensive things with whiskers) would be a waste of time, energy and money for me. I suspect they're the same for most other people too but who's going to admit that just changing your stroke could have saved you from all those cramps when you've just spent hundreds on a magical new fin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom