Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands?

Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands (as noted)?

• APEKS

Votes: 106 52.5%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • Atomic

Votes: 94 46.5%
  • Dive Rite

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Mares

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Scubapro

Votes: 121 59.9%
  • Sherwood

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Tusa

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Zeagle

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't want to be a pain in the neck, but I fear the poll is rather 'over the pond oriented'. Some of the brands you quote are (nearly) non available in Europe. Just my 2 cents.

I voted Apeks, Atomic, and ScubaPro because most divers consider these top tier brands. But, my personal favorite of the brands listed are Dive Rites because of the extremely comfortable hose routing wearing doubles and they've performed better for me during cave and trimix dives than other brands I've owned including ScubaPro. Sharing gas with students who've had Atomics makes me think they might be the best breathers, but cost of ownership isn't worth it for me as a pro dive bum. Hogs and Deep 6 regulators are the sleeper cars of regulators and owner-friendly.

They aren't "top tier."

Although military and commercial diving needs are largely different from civilian recreational divers needs, I am referring to the big picture of availability of support at local and international locations and ease of adjustment and reliability of the equipment. Poseidon is no doubt a top of the line regulator but it is finicky and it will be very difficult to find a competent service technician who can do a good job in servicing their regulators.

I disagree. I like most of the Poseidon regs, but the Xstream, is nothing short of amazing. I won't get into details, but it's the only first stage I have had apart, where I was just totally impressed with the simplicity uniqueness and quality. And sure the second stages,are "different". But what's so finicky about them? You make sure the valve insert is ok, and the servo assist is working, then there is just one adjustment to tweak. If you are freaked out my that, Perhaps its best you don't try and understand how a more typical balanced second stage with a micro adjuster works.

Poseidon still suffered from rampant misinformation, mostely from people who don't know what they are talking about. True, there were several years where US support was challenging. I was happy to participate in the service clinic at last years DEMA (as an end user). And I also have. Certified repair tech within 20m of me. Beyond that, DRIS or Airtec scuba, are as close as any post office.

For me:

1) Poseidon ....long standing gear crush. :)
2) Dive Rite ....awesome regs, from a US based company who dives like I do!
3) HOG, D1 & D3 ...solid options for both value and performance.
*) nothing against D6, just have not had occasion to buy any more regs since they became available.

oops I can't - 10 poll choices may be the maximum

oops I can't - 10 poll choices may be the maximum
OK
1) Poseidon
2) Aqualung
3) Diverite
This based on which regs I've enjoyed breathing underwater the most in the Great lakes. I've only used Scubapro rentals at a Caribbean resort so can't really comment or vote on them.

Has anyone ever had a regulator that you hated? I feel that we sometimes make a big deal with these regulator comparisons. It seems that all regulators are being built to certain performance and safety standards. Within those it will be difficult to show a significant performance difference between them so user preference is dependent upon advertising driven perceptions. I have seen some very high end regulators free flow during ice dives while cheap diaphragms were performing ok.

Captain Sinbad comments on little “significant performance difference” between regulators and brands is a fair and often heard statement. Of the five (5) provided brand evaluation metrics, #1, and maybe #2, are related to that performance. The other three metrics were added to our poll, as best effort, to capture other considerations that divers value.

The composite consideration of all five (5) metrics for a brands rating was intended to provide a more comprehensive reflection of the brand’s regulators (which cost less than $600). Hope this clarification helps everyone!

Poll Metrics (as provided in first thread posting):
(1) Performance (new & cared-for used)
(2) Comfort
(3) Ruggedness
(4) Cost (purchase & maintenance)
(5) Brand warranty & customer service.

Can't vote: no Deep Six.
Unordered, but a strong nod to Deep Six on price.
- Scubapro - Mk25/S600 or 109 Balanced - have been very good for me, lots of air, reliable
- Deep Six - New to me, lots of air, diaphragm turret 5th port, I can service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom