DPV New or Used - under $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MitchFtLaud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
About a year ago I set out to build a small fleet of DPV’s to support a project I believe in. Since then I have purchased ten scooters covering an assortment of brands and models, gotten to try many others, done extensive research and learned some hard lessons along the way. Due to my needs I was only able to find one model under $1000 new, and the best value I found was in buying used recreational models that sold new for $1500 to $3000.

Let me first explain my project, to put this into my perspective. I am offering support to programs like SUDS, Wounded Worrier and Divers for Heroes by supplying disabled veterans with loaner DPV’s when they come to South Florida for dive trips. Some of our returning veterans have amputations and propulsion out on the reefs in current has been an issue at times.

For my loaner fleet all DPV’s must be strong enough to pull two divers in the case of an emergency and have a battery that will last for a dive of 45 minutes or more, mostly on the trigger. Have a battery to support two dives in one day, or have the ability to swap batteries between dives. A variety of styles is needed to find a good match between disability and DPV. I need to be able to accommodate veterans that may not have two hands or two arms, so I need models with triggers on the right and left side and some that can use tow ropes attached to a harness instead of pulling the diver from two arms. They should be easy to maintain, easy to teach others to use and simple to charge. Finally, I needed to be able to afford them in quantity from purchase, through repair, upkeep and battery replacement.

Having DPV’s that weigh 40-70 pounds each is not a deal breaker for me, and I have the ability to do most repairs myself so I don’t mind units sold used or “for parts”.

It was obvious to me that Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries were the way to go. The newer battery technology is far too expensive, and SLA batteries have the advantage of slowing down near the end of the dive giving inexperienced pilots warning that the battery is low.

Here in no particular order are my thoughts on what I found. I may say some things about scooters that people here have and love that is not to their liking, but please keep in mind I’m sharing my experience from the perspective of the project I am working on.

Apollo AV-1 and AV-2- I’m starting with this one, because it is about the best balance of features of all the scooters I have found for my purpose. With SLA battery these can be found used for the $600 to $1000 range and I have one of each model. The AV-1 is faster than the AV-2, each has a three speed (pitch) prop and the AV-2 also has a battery LED gauge and you can vary the speed more from the trigger as well. The AV-1 has a larger capacity battery, but despite that, they seem to have about the same run time, perhaps the AV-2 is more efficient. The middle pitch on these is the pace I find fast enough to be fun, while slow enough to support a long dive with all the other DPV’s keeping up. At about 40lbs and compact, this is a great compromise of power, battery life, weight and size for recreational diving. Batteries can be swapped out in a minute, although doing back to back dives without plenty of time to let the motor cool off, can start tripping the thermal cut out circuit during the second dive here in the tropics.
These are the only DPV’s I have that have the handles well in front of the propeller and for that reason, they are by far the most likely to suck divers gear in and are the hardest for people with short arms to fly. Be sure to carry these from the nose handle and not the side handles while out of the water as the side handles have a reputation for breaking .This model is the favorite for many divers for its size, weight and power. This is my favorite for boat and beach diving if I don’t have to tow a flag.

Sea Doo and their knock offs- I don’t have any of these, have flown a few different models and will not buy any. All but the highest end models of these are lacking in power and run time and I’m not even sure the highest end models are adequate. Based on web forums they also have a reputation for flooding.

Bladefish 5000- Despite their claims of great speed and run time they are of insignificant power and run time to be of any value for my project. These are in my opinion by far the most over promising in terms of performance vs. reality of any DPV I have flown. Speed seems to be similar to a low to mid level Sea Doo, about half the speed of a Torpedo 3500.

Torpedo 3500- I have two Torpedo 3500’s, one is a new demo unit from the manufacturer and the other an older unit that I got from EBay “for parts” and I repaired it. The newer unit (has four nose latches) can keep up with an Apollo in middle pitch, pull two people if needed and last a full dive. They are a bit too negative so I’ve added a homemade closed cell pad to make it neutral. My older two latch model is not quite as fast and the battery doesn’t last as long. The newer 3500 is about the minimum performance I consider acceptable and this is the only unit that I can have new for under $1000. I’ve tried a 2000 which I think is too weak, the 2500 might be OK, but I have not tried one. These guys weigh about 50lbs but do to the handle and shape; they are easy to deal with on a beach or dive boat. Divers often comment on how comfortable, easy and pleasurable these units are to fly, and for this reason is sometimes picked over faster models.

Tekna/Mako¬- I have a lot of love for these DPV’s as long as you get the right one. The old Tekna DV-3x and such (does not have latches and removable nose) I pass on due to design issues that range from prone to leaking to could explode. But, the newer ones (with removable nose) like the Tekna DV-100 and Mako have these issues resolved and are an outstanding value. They have plenty of power and some motors are very strong. If I understand this correctly the old Tekna motors had two versions, a standard 750rpm motor and a higher performance 1000 rpm motor. Once Mako bought out the design, only 750 rpm motors were made and they are not as consistent in quality, so you may get a good one or not. You can get any of these motors rewound to either spec, but sometimes rewound motors are not energy efficient, so you may get a faster scooter with a short run time. This basic design overall has proven to be excellent though, and many of the leading DPV makers like Gavin, SS and Dive X use this basic motor, shaft propeller system as the starting point for their improvements.

I have a Tekna DV-100 with a high performance motor and it is the fastest DPV I own for under $1000. I haven’t gotten to fly a Mako, but from all I’ve seen I’m sure that even a 750rpm motor has plenty of power for my needs. The Tekna DV-100 can be had used for the $500-$900 range, the Mako goes for more in the $700-$1100 range and things like high speed motors and upgraded aluminum propellers can add hundred more to either model. These are a bit heavier and larger than the Apollo, but have the power and battery life to make it worth it. Battery changes are a huge pain, so I recommend high quality batteries to get you through two dives. This is the entry level cave diving DPV, so very high marks on reliability as well.
Divers who love speed always fight over this one. It is a real work horse and tolerates towing a dive flag better than any other I have. Also, keep in mind that because of the longevity of this line in its various forms, used parts, after market upgraded parts and even new replacement parts are not ridicules in price and it’s easy to find people who know how to work on them.

Farallon Mk I, II & III-These are very old but pop up on EBay from time to time. I got one of these mostly out of my huge desire to have one when I was a teen and had just started diving. Scooter is as fast as an Apollo on fastest pitch, rugged, and has a run time of about 35 minutes. Because of its speed however, you are not on the trigger much so it does finish a 45 minute dive easily. The older Farallon’s are not supported by any manufacturer and parts are hard to find or have to be custom made. I learned this the hard way after mine went up in smoke on the first dive and my $400 EBay bargain cost me $1000 in repairs before it was reliable and functional. This is the only DPV I have not been able to fix myself and without “DPV Repairs” knowledge and resources it would be garbage. This is now one of my favorite DPV’s, comfortable and easy to fly and the handle on top makes it one of the easiest to transport and dive with.

AquaSub-I got this for almost nothing during a “what the heck” moment. It has the propeller in the front and pulls you. Relay fried, it kept shutting off from overheating, etc. I threw it out after repairing it three times. Even when it worked it was hard to fly, very heavy and almost impossible to store or transport… Buyer beware!

Stealth Maxx-I picked up one of these used for super cheap, it has a stacked design with the prop and motor under the battery rather than behind it, so I thought it was so unique it might be worth having just in case. Speed is a hair slower than the new Torpedo 3500, it uses the same battery and run time is about the same as well. It is very positive so you need to put 8lbs in the battery compartment to get it to go neutral for SCUBA diving, but it’s OK if you do. However, do to the bottom up push of the propeller being below; it works best for snorkeling, where you can let it float on the surface. Decent build quality and function, a bit bulky and a bargain for $200 or less.

Pegasus Thruster-I’m putting this in here, because it’s fairly new, unique in style, I have tried them out and I guess in a couple of years we’ll be seeing used units for under $1000. This unit straps on your tank, uses a Ni-MH battery that can be replaced underwater, is about 5 pounds negative and you steer it by contorting your body and using your fins. Speed of a single unit is about the middle pitch on an Apollo. I personally find them harder to steer and not as relaxing as the tow behinds, but I am not used to them either. If you are considering one be aware of some things: Your big stride entry becomes the huge stride entry for fear of hitting the unit on the dive platform. The unit is light compared to the other units mentioned here, but when getting out, we didn’t want to unlatch them from the tanks for fear of dropping one, and it’s a bit much for some people to leave on the tank and climb back into the boat, so we ended up removing the BC’s in the water and handing up the whole rig. Pulling out a weight integrated BC’s with one of these units attached is a task so tip your crew well. Also, the units have to be removed from the tanks to get the tanks into the tank racks and along with swapping out tanks between dives you have the bracket as well, so be aware your entry, tank swap and exit regiment will be more cumbersome. If you are not used to the unit on your back you can knock into people and things on a busy boat. Batteries didn’t always make it to the end of a single tank dive, and when these units quite, it is without warning. You can carry a spare battery and change it in the water, but you will likely need help or a very patient dive buddy while you remove you BC to do it. None of these things are deal breakers for me, but I don’t see these as ever being a major part of my fleet because I believe a tow behind is easier for someone with a prosthetic leg. The option of flying hands free, however, seems like it could have great potential for photographers, spear fishermen, HSA buddies or anyone who needs to do more than just watch the scenery.

Summary- Best value under $500 would be a used Torpedo 3500 if it is a newer four latch model in decent shape. Two latch is still a good deal, but they are older and know that it may leak a bit into the battery compartment, although not effect performance. Best deal in the $600 to $1000 range would be either an Apollo or a Mako variant. Apollo is smaller and lighter, with the AV-1 being my favorite, while the Mako line is heavier but has a much longer run time, may be faster if you get lucky, and is easier to maintain and fix. If I had to choose between a new Torpedo or used one of these, I’d go with a used Apollo or Mako. Everything else is not common, doesn’t perform well or costs a fortune to fix it.
Final advice is try to fly before you buy, your body size, upper body strength and other factors will make some DPV’s far easier than others. Most of the data on the web is far from realistic to flat out fiction. Keep in mind that Technical scooters often give speeds towing a diver in dry suite, with doubles and stages, while others seem to use the Gecko lizard freediving.
My project is going well by the way, I just supported the Divers for Hero DPV race team as they participated in the wreck racing leagues event off Pompano Beach and one of the veterans got third place in the Expedition Class B division flying an Apollo AV-1 that I provided.

We operated AV1's from 1989 to 2005 with little more than batteries every 200 dives, orings, plastic triggers, and a few relays. They can use the more energy dense Odyssey PC925 battery and run 55 minutes on medium, but will overheat on high speed. As they get more dives on them they slow down and use more power, and run hotter popping the thermal breaker. We switched to AV2's in 2005

We bought NiMh batteries for the AV2's for $300 each from a battery manufacturer (40 D cells with spot welded connectors in series/parallel) and they last 95 minutes on high speed with no overheating problems due to the 24 volt brushless motor and heat exchanger. They have been faultless on about 1000 dives each. The push saddle makes them hands free, nearly silent, and great for photos and lionfish hunting. The variable speed allows waterbatics and hovering.

Kittiwake Scooter Dive - Cayman Islands - YouTube

We are going slow and steady because the camera person was often riding backwards to film:D

That is great info, thanks for sharing, do you have a link on the aftermarket battery? That is far more reasonable than the prices from Apollo!

Aloha I had DPV repair restore the shaft seal and the electronics for me on a Farallon DPV MKII unfortunately today I was out and A loose strap got sucked in and Broke my prop. any chance you know where I might find one? if so email me at : jacarpini@gmail.com
cheers
john

I would think that, by now, used Gavins would be the best option. They are always coming up on the market for around a grand, and by now they're pretty solid as any foibles have been repaired out over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom