Poll: Sharing a room - with opposite gender?

Would you share a room of the opposite gender, if you have never met them before?

• Yes - I'm a male

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Yes - I'm a female

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No - I'm a male

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • No - I'm a female

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Maybe(please comment)

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a man, I voted yes because having a roommate is not so bad and we're diving! so I don't spend much time in the room. If it was 20% supplement, it could be worth it. I have never paid a single supplement and had a couple roommates but have mostly been lucky to get my own room.

There is a slight summarizing polling choices issue where Maybe doesn't indicate gender :), but it is small anyway.

5 female votes out of 38 votes seems to indicate TAM does play a part in the pricing decision. Or female divers don't care about the liveaboards section, or don't waste their time reading Scubaboard (gasp).

After seeing the other thread and this poll, I thought of polling whether men would be offended (affecting a liveaboards business) if they charged women less single supplement than men, but again think the boat would not choose to do so because of that risk of offending their larger customer base.

Always with work people of the opposite sex, that is where marriages used to come from
or the magnificent only for a few days looking at the floor when back at the office feeling

Hey but they MUST be the instigatress

Over the years done it numerous times. Had to travel quite a bit, (at times to quite odd places with very limited accomodation possibilities) on work related trips and sometimes teamed up with people I didn't know, some of them female.
I can understand why some could have a problem with this, but for me personaly, not an issue. Mutual respect and just plain old fashioned good manners go a long way.

Culture and upbringing both societal and parental are quite influential
I wonder if there is a cut off point for adjusting ones attitude-maturity

I selected maybe.

I am generqlly open to sharing a space with anyone of any gender, including a room, so long as they were not a pain to deal with.

I could not explain sharing a room with woman to my wife. That would be the end of diving.
I do so love being polyamorous. One partner would not care and the other would only be jealous if my temporary roomate was particularly attractive and she didn't get to join.

If I can choose - a room with someone who does not snore.

Otherwise, have worked on boats where I'm the only female onboard and do quite a lot of hitchhiking, so whatever works for the boat.

I'm not keen on sharing with ANYONE I do not know. Their sex/gender/inclinations are irrelevant.
I understand and appreciate that might mean someone can't go on the trip, so would expect to pay extra for my privacy. 100% of the lost revenue to the boat would not be acceptable; 40-50% likely would be.
If the shoe were on the other foot, and I were trying to get that last spot on a boat, and were offered a same or opposite sex/gender roommate, and they said Yes to me, I'd be conflicted, and would possibly accept the spot, and then feel bad about if since I'm not sure I would have been so gracious.

So, all things considered, I dislike the asymmetry of my position more than I desire the privacy, hence I would accept the roommate, but only same sex/gender because I'm married and anything else would not fly.
Let me modify your response a bit, if I were in that situation described and the random woman agreed to share a room with me I afraid I would have to question her judgement! :wink:.

I voted yes because it really wouldn't bother me; even sharing a room it's easy to be discrete and modest. However, it's kind of a moot point because my non-diving wife would (understandably) never go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom