Poll: Sharing a room - with opposite gender?

Would you share a room of the opposite gender, if you have never met them before?

• Yes - I'm a male

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Yes - I'm a female

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No - I'm a male

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • No - I'm a female

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Maybe(please comment)

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not keen on sharing with ANYONE I do not know. Their sex/gender/inclinations are irrelevant.
I understand and appreciate that might mean someone can't go on the trip, so would expect to pay extra for my privacy. 100% of the lost revenue to the boat would not be acceptable; 40-50% likely would be.
If the shoe were on the other foot, and I were trying to get that last spot on a boat, and were offered a same or opposite sex/gender roommate, and they said Yes to me, I'd be conflicted, and would possibly accept the spot, and then feel bad about if since I'm not sure I would have been so gracious.

So, all things considered, I dislike the asymmetry of my position more than I desire the privacy, hence I would accept the roommate, but only same sex/gender because I'm married and anything else would not fly.

I'm not keen on sharing with ANYONE I do not know. Their sex/gender/inclinations are irrelevant.
Same for me. I used to be amenable to sharing a room--whether a liveaboard, youth hostel or other--with unknown persons, but I'm past that now. Older, grumpier and more selective.

You're probably going to need some visibility in the women's forum to get a better equity in responses. Else it will just be men mostly saying they're fine with it because its fairly low risk (male privilege) with the married ones saying no because it wouldn't fly with their spouse.

I regularly share a room with a person of another gender. I have been married to him for almost 44 years.
Any other person. No!
I like to relax in my room (personal space) ‘au natural’. Every other adult I have ever been close enough to discuss this with also prefers ‘au natural’.
I fully believe that a 20 something room mate will have NO sexual interest in mid 60 me, still not interested in sharing a room.

The wife wouldn't "care" - oh I might take some sh!t for a minute but we both used to travel all the time for work and that trust is well established..

But I'm with everyone saying "I don't want to share with *anyone* I don't know".

As much as I can "play" extrovert for an extended period of time, I'm really an introvert and I need time to recharge without people (or with people who understand me..)

I've been forced into sharing rooms for work conferences and it's always a pain.
You either get:

A) The Diva (male or female) who hogs the shower time and any available work-space. Be self-aware please. Like... do you really need a shrine to your personal hair-care routine in the bath area?
B) The person who snores worse than you do... and for me (pre-CPAP) that's saying something. I've then had some complain "your CPAP kept me awake." Really?
C) The guy whose stomach does NOT handle foreign foods well... enough said.
D) The late night talker... brother, if I wanted to have a conversation I'd still be in the Salon/main living space.

So I answered "No - I'm male" but not because of the sex/gender issues.. more because I realize I'm willing to pay the extra "Single Supplement" to actually be able to wind-down and enjoy my time in room.

The wife wouldn't "care" - oh I might take some sh!t for a minute but we both used to travel all the time for work and that trust is well established..

But I'm with everyone saying "I don't want to share with *anyone* I don't know".

As much as I can "play" extrovert for an extended period of time, I'm really an introvert and I need time to recharge without people (or with people who understand me..)

I've been forced into sharing rooms for work conferences and it's always a pain.
You either get:

A) The Diva (male or female) who hogs the shower time and any available work-space. Be self-aware please. Like... do you really need a shrine to your personal hair-care routine in the bath area?
B) The person who snores worse than you do... and for me (pre-CPAP) that's saying something. I've then had some complain "your CPAP kept me awake." Really?
C) The guy whose stomach does NOT handle foreign foods well... enough said.
D) The late night talker... brother, if I wanted to have a conversation I'd still be in the Salon/main living space.

So I answered "No - I'm male" but not because of the sex/gender issues.. more because I realize I'm willing to pay the extra "Single Supplement" to actually be able to wind-down and enjoy my time in room.
Sharing rooms for work is where I draw the line. I don't want to know that much about my coworkers.

Sharing rooms for work is where I draw the line. I don't want to know that much about my coworkers.
Never with work people.... never.

Back
Top Bottom