Poll: Sharing a room - with opposite gender?

Would you share a room of the opposite gender, if you have never met them before?

• Yes - I'm a male

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Yes - I'm a female

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No - I'm a male

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • No - I'm a female

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Maybe(please comment)

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Prompted by another thread, I'm just curious at the thoughts of the populous here. The context being that you do not know the other person (randomly assigned).

Your question is meaningless.
You can say Opposite biological sex".
What is being taught in grade school today makes "gender" meaningless, much less "opposite gender".
And, NO, I would not share a traditional cabin with anyone I don't know. I have shared a bunkhouse berthing area - a 4 bunk angle berth in the bow.

Your question is meaningless.
You can say Opposite biological sex".
What is being taught in grade school today makes "gender" meaningless, much less "opposite gender".
I think we agree, but I am so confused by the whole 'gender' vs 'sex' crap that I chose a word and stuck with it.

I have it as a maybe. I have been on liveaboards sharing rooms with strangers (same sex) and I really didn't interact with them much in the room. But not a fan, in general, of sharing with strangers.

I have shared rooms with female friends without any issues, but they were long time friends.

In general, I have no objection, but I think the female in the situation is more the deciding factor.

Totally situation dependent. If I arrived for liveaboard or a shore-based diving event and for a variety of plausible reasons the accommodations had to change I would consider it.

Personally, I wouldn't care. But the likelihood of a random female getting matched with a random dude is probably fairly slim so it doesn't really matter.
I have shared rooms with many random dudes over the years. It wouldn't be an issue and definitely wouldn't keep me from sleeping soundly.

I have, was asked the day before the boat left if I would as they had a female passenger that was a last minute booking - otherwise she would not be able to travel. No issues.

In a different context, I have stayed in numerous hostels in Europe, including walking the Camino de Santiago a few times. Almost all hostels were mixed gender (sex sounds to sexual 🤣 ). Even the one run by an order of nuns.

The statistics tell us that most sexual predators are originally biologically male … so I can understand women’s reluctance to share with a male stranger.

And there are other threads here where young women on LOB’s have reported being sexually harassed by the LOB crew too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom