• Dive shop owner/employee

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • Instructor/Ass't. Instructor/DM

Votes: 82 21.6%
  • Just a diver

Votes: 278 73.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about diving practical joker:jester: ?

I think your poll was a great idea

Aquamore

.... so the Diver to Instructor ratio is 3:1!

Surprising!

Aquamore

.... or is that what you were expecting?

Aquamore

I became an instructor to give me something to do when I finally get my way. That is, quit my day job. Move to Marathon in the Keys and work part time at the K Mart sports department. I own a 33 foot trailer so I will fit right in down there. And of course dive, dive, dive (and teach a few students my intensive 10 week course).

My wife joined me as an instructor so the boat DM will not ask her any questions on the shells she just retrieved from the bottom. In fact I spent most of my time navigating so I can lead her back to the anchor line with her haul of shells. She has a beautful collection from many places.

What was this poll about?

Just curious about the make-up of the general population here on this board.

Eveyone who posts has a slightly different point of view which is affected by experience level, position in the industry, etc......I think it is helpful for us all to keep this in mind when looking to internet message boards for advice.

Yes i'm a dive master. but I also love to do my own diving. I also hang out at the LDS so much they started putting me to work.. :wink:

Being 'just a diver' ain't all bad.

Look at it this way. We keep the LDS in business by buying stuff from them. We do our part to keep instructors and DMs off the dole by taking lessons. Certification agencies would crash and burn without having us to certify and issue patches to. Our own Natasha doesn't have to sell matches on a Chicago street corner in the wintertime because 'just a diver' or two signed up for her trips. If we weren't around dive resorts worldwide would have to become other things like mosquito research centers or academies for syncronized swimming.

Egads, an entire industry depends on us. In fact, 'just a diver' rules! Way cool.

Cheers,
Warren

LOL Thanks, Finmeister! (((( passing out a book of matches))))
I see you happen to be in Florida. Why not jump on our Wreckmania trip in Florida this summer? You can look at it as continuing to support our industry! hehehe
Just a diver here too. :wink:

:gorgeous:

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for the invite. It looks like grand fun as well as a chance to learn something about wreck diving from someone who knows the topic well.

Unfortunately, your posted dates are a bad time for me. The distance learning facility I administer here at the college is being remodeled in July, and my presence is required.

However, if the remodeling timetable should change and your group has an opening I'll be back in touch...and do my part for the industry, as well as helping to keep you from becoming Chicago's version of the 'Little Match Girl'.

'Just a diver'
Warren

ps...Did you son end up in the Coast Guard or the academy? W

W:
Thanks for asking about my son, Jordan. I've been wanting to give Chris(Large diver) an update, and this is as good of a place as any.
Jordan has been accepted at Marquette University in Milwaukee.
Beside the fact that his two best buddies are going there, he received a sizeable scholarship to go. Yes, they gave him an Ignatius Academic Distinction Scholarship of $28,000 to be used over the 4 years if he keeps a "B" 3.0 average. He's also taking a special test in two weeks to see if he can get more $$$$.
So, for now the Coast Guard is still on hold.
He'll be diving in the Keys over spring break, so the kid has it together!
Once again thanks for asking! Sorry to get off the subject.

Back
Top Bottom