• Tech

Votes: 163 71.5%
  • XR

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The use of incorrect vernacular in a technical environment often indicates a lack of understanding. I always cringe when I hear someone talking about doing a big "tek" dive.

On the other hand, I like to call 'em flippers cause it bugs people so who am I to judge?

You can't trademark a real word like "tech" but you can make something up like "tek" or "tec" or "bzambuawilie" and trademark that. I suspect that's the reason for the tek/tec business. I guess you could trademark a real word but you'd never be able to enforce your trademark. Next year I'm going to take some bzambuawilie classes. Please add that to the poll.

Theres only 1 man who can answer this .... M2 (Michael Menduno)

_R

The use of incorrect vernacular in a technical environment often indicates a lack of understanding. I always cringe when I hear someone talking about doing a big "tek" dive.

On the other hand, I like to call 'em flippers cause it bugs people so who am I to judge?

You can't trademark a real word like "tech" but you can make something up like "tek" or "tec" or "bzambuawilie" and trademark that. I suspect that's the reason for the tek/tec business. I guess you could trademark a real word but you'd never be able to enforce your trademark. Next year I'm going to take some bzambuawilie classes.

Then there are those who call masks “goggles.” Like nails on a chalkboard to me. They sound damned ignorant. It’s like calling a gun magazine a “clip.” Face palm time.

You can't trademark a real word like "tech" but you can make something up like "tek" or "tec" or "bzambuawilie" and trademark that. I suspect that's the reason for the tek/tec business. I guess you could trademark a real word but you'd never be able to enforce your trademark. Next year I'm going to take some bzambuawilie classes.

Agree with all this sentiment. The trademarking of "tek," though--I understand what you're getting at, and you may be right about their motive, but I don't think they would be successful in this case.

I know it as Technical diving although PADI brands it as Tec in their web-page

Whether you're bothered or just curious... From the horse's mouth - I asked Michael Menduno and he said I could quote him:

"Technical diving sometimes shortened to tech diving is the proper term. Tek, was a branded name that aquaCORPS used for its conference: the tek.conference, Eurotek and Asiatek conferences. This has been picked up by others like OZTek, TekDive USA, EuroTek, so these are brand names.

The term "Tec" was created by PADI to brand their technical diving program, Tec Rec. So that is also a branded name. I also sometimes like to use the word "tekkies" to refer to the community. I got this from trekkies i.e. Star Trek fans.

But it's sort of an informal fun use of words. I would say the proper, formal word is technical and tech."

The term "Tec" was created by PADI to brand their technical diving program, Tec Rec. So that is also a branded name.
As is "XR Extended Range" which is used by corporate siblings SSI and Mares and appears to be the least likely to catch on. Deliberate misspellings of "tech" may be annoying, but at least they are immediately comprehendible. "XR" OTOH...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom