• Tech

Votes: 163 71.5%
  • XR

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is tec diving anyway? I've been told mixed gas diving is technical diving. So anyone with a nitrox card and diving a nitrox mix is a technical diver.

I've been told deco diving is technical diving. So all those deco divers out there are technical divers.

Tec, Tech or Tek?? This is like asking if it is costly, expensive, or holy crap I need a mortgage. Only your credit score will ever know for sure.

Teckh - as used by marketing tossers and managers

Just go diving beyond recreational limits. The wrecks are better and the divers have bigger stories.

What is tec diving anyway? I've been told mixed gas diving is technical diving. So anyone with a nitrox card and diving a nitrox mix is a technical diver..
I think the best definition remains those dives without immediate access to the surface, whether because of a hard or sof(required deco) ceiling.

Don't forget about "flippers" :rofl3:
Yes, but that one grew out of pinnipeds having flippers and not fins, fish have fins. So I suppose it depends on what type of aquatic animal you identify yourself to be like.
But yeah, flippers sounds kind of goofy.

Yes, but that one grew out of pinnipeds having flippers and not fins, fish have fins. So I suppose it depends on what type of aquatic animal you identify yourself to be like.
But yeah, flippers sounds kind of goofy.
They should be flippers. Flippers are broad flat limbs without fingers used by mammals and some other animals for swimming. Fins are thin and for marine mammals used primarily for directional control rather than propulsion.

But it doesn't really matter which term you use because no one will be confused. This is unlike goggles and masks, which are two different things.

Don't forget about "flippers" :rofl3:

Well, as a French diver, I'd say English speaking people got it all wrong, once more :wink:

In my language, we say 'palmes' which is French for flippers. Fins is 'nageoires' which is the wrong word to use around here :D. Over the years, if you check diving related books from the 50s to nowadays, you'll find first : 'nageoires', 'palmes-nageoires', 'palmes natatoires' (or 'palettes natatoires').... Why did we decide for 'palmes' in the end ? No idea. :wink:

Maybe that was when we ended calling divers (plongeurs) 'hommes grenouilles' (frogmen) :D

I remain confused at just what, exactly, technical/tech/tec/tek/teque diving actually is these days. Used to be that merely diving doubles (independent, or manifolded--isolated or not) did NOT mean you were technical diving. And merely doing planned decompression dives (in open water) did NOT mean you were technical diving. And doing ice dives wearing a harness while being roped to a surface tender did NOT mean you were technical diving. Et cetera.

No matter, though, since I have long returned to being a recreation/rec/rek/reque diver exclusively. Took my double-hose-regulator-baby-doubles-single-outlet-manifold rig for its inaugural dive (in a local swimming pool) earlier this morning, in fact. Oh, wait ...

rx7diver

I think the best definition remains those dives without immediate access to the surface, whether because of a hard or sof(required deco) ceiling.

Deco diving is taught as recreational diving by many agencies and was standard diving practice in the 1980's when I did my BSAC courses. Was never called technical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom