Politics: A real view of how Pakistanis feel about the United States

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, so I didn't watch the entire video, 26 minutes is just a bit more than I can dedicate to something like this.

I thought it was going to be interesting but it turned out to be a rehashing of the same rhetoric that we have all heard a thousand times already. Allow me, as a non-American and non-Muslim, to share a thought or two:

The presenter asks "why do Muslims hate America so much?" and then also says early in the video that it's about much more than the invasion of Afghanistan. He then interviews different people who give all sorts of "they think they can do what they want" and "they think they can tell us what to do" and "one white life is more valuable than a thousand brown or black lives" but it's all just these general accusations but nothing specific really. I don't know, none of what the girls at the concert said seemed to answer his original question as far as I'm concerned. It looks more like typical anger at someone else not because of what that someone else has done but because of the propaganda you've swallowed hook line and sinker.

He then interviews the sage in Peshawar who seems to have two gripes, the invasion of Afghanistan (I thought it's about much more than just that) and the USA's "arrogance". Now seriously, if someone else's arrogance is the biggest reason for you hating them then I'm afraid, I'd side with the arrogant party.

Another major theme throughout the video (or at least the part that I saw) was expounding on what Islam really is all about and the main word that keeps being used is "tolerance". "We don't condone terrorism, we promote tolerance". But then they keep going on about how arrogant the USA is and how they can't stand it and yadda yadda. IT just doesn't seem tolerant to me.

I know most Americans would probably disagree with me but I believe that America was unjustified in attacking Iraq - at least, based on the intel available at the time and the reasons they provided. Afghanistan is a different story but I can understand how Afghans (or Muslims) might feel unduly targeted - more civilians have been killed in Afghanistan than in the World Trade Center attacks. Based on this I can well understand that there would be a fury from Islamic circles but I don't buy that as the answer to this question as the hate towards America predates the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Anyway, I could go on but I've already spent more time on this than I wanted to. I just wanted to say, I'd really like to know "Why do Muslims hate America so much?" I think it's a great question and it must be worth exploring but this video does not answer that question.

I find the arrogance of my country, and specifically the policy makers, to be offensive. How many other countries have we interfered with in the last 100+ years. I think we needed to listen more to the wisdom of George Washington and Dwight David Eisenhower.

However, shouldn't this be in The Pub due to political discussion?

I find the arrogance of my country, and specifically the policy makers, to be offensive. How many other countries have we interfered with in the last 100+ years. I think we needed to listen more to the wisdom of George Washington and Dwight David Eisenhower.

However, shouldn't this be in The Pub due to political discussion?

I agree - Yes and Yes

Muslims hate America for the same reason people hate everywhere. The people with money and power keep the masses in line by telling them their suffering is the Jews fault.....errr.....Americans fault....errr....George Bush..........how's that again? It is the same story throughout history. It is easy to inspire hate and fear to control the downtrodden.
If you blame the people's suffering on someone else, it is easy to distract them from the $10 million bribe you just took to screw them over.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Not my problem, stay out of it, don't get involved. Seems like that is today's position, but much less so than 40, 50, or even 70 years ago. That kind of thinking can and will get you in trouble eventually. You hear of people standing on the street corner and watching instead of acting. The perpetrators know this and take advantage of it. Weakness is infectious, strength is the cure.

The "squat in the dirt" people of the world, knowing they will not likely ever have it, are fearful of those that do. It does not matter how many have to die for protecting the rights and privilege we come to expect. People are a commodity, freedom is absolute.

Jane Fonda was wrong then (she knows that now!) and people who think like that are wrong now. A case in point... months after we pulled out of Vietnam, thousands were murdered in that country. The Keimer Rouge in Cambodia were emboldened to kill another 1.5 million. Laos another 0.7 million. Don't even THINK about what could have happened with the Japanese and Germans in 1940. They fed on weakness and thrived.

So in the end, people will die. Regardless of any action or inaction you may take. But much, much more from the rule of tyranny than would ever die in a fight for freedom. There is another Vietnam happening in central and southern Africa right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Not my problem, stay out of it, don't get involved. Seems like that is today's position, but much less so than 40, 50, or even 70 years ago. That kind of thinking can and will get you in trouble eventually. You hear of people standing on the street corner and watching instead of acting. The perpetrators know this and take advantage of it. Weakness is infectious, strength is the cure.

The "squat in the dirt" people of the world, knowing they will not likely ever have it, are fearful of those that do. It does not matter how many have to die for protecting the rights and privilege we come to expect. People are a commodity, freedom is absolute.

Jane Fonda was wrong then (she knows that now!) and people who think like that are wrong now. A case in point... months after we pulled out of Vietnam, thousands were murdered in that country. The Keimer Rouge in Cambodia were emboldened to kill another 1.5 million. Laos another 0.7 million. Don't even THINK about what could have happened with the Japanese and Germans in 1940. They fed on weakness and thrived.

So in the end, people will die. Regardless of any action or inaction you may take. But much, much more from the rule of tyranny than would ever die in a fight for freedom.
OkByMe, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying here. I may be missing your point altogether so forgive me if I do. I just want to point out that "fight for freedom" is a very popular phrase used by propagandists to garner support from the proletariat. But many a war have been fought under the banner of "fighting for freedom" when it was anything but. The war in Iraq might be many things but it is not a fight for freedom.

There is another Vietnam happening in central and southern Africa right now.
From what I know of it - the Africa situation may be worse!
Would you care to elaborate on this please?

We hated the British (the government/monarchy at least) when they controlled our lives from afar. Why shouldn't those in the countries we are doing the same thing to hate us without the need for propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom