Polished Alum. Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may be a stupid question, but here goes.

Has anyone ever polished an alum. tank. I did a search and found a lot of threads on stripping and painting, but nothing on polishing a stripped tank.

Just curious, thanks for any help. Oh, and by the way, the method used would be elbow-grease. No power tools.

Some have a spun looking finish as opposed to being shot blasted. The sheen would be very short lived.

Pete

Based on polished planes, don't go there and forget you even thought about it. You will never keep it looking like that plus you have the added danger of embrittlement.

I know the FAA will ground a plane with a polished propeller or spinner if they think it's not factory. I've had buddies have that happen, the reason is you can damage the surface and cause a failure down the road. I suspect you can do the same on a scuba tank.

I had planned on putting a clear coat over it, but if there is a chance that it will become brittle, then never mind. Thanks guys.

Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf:
I had planned on putting a clear coat over it, but if there is a chance that it will become brittle, then never mind. Thanks guys.

Dark Wolf

Clear coating will, indeed, keep a tank looking shiny--for a while. Catalina had the idea years ago. It would probably work pretty well in fresh water. In salt water, however, any small nick in the finish becomes a repository for dried salt. When this happens, the clear coated tanks look even worse than painted tanks.

I had several Catalina clear coated tanks on the boat which I stripped when they became really ugly. In my opinion, for salt water, uncoated aluminum tanks, or galvanized steel tanks are the way to go.

I can understand your desire for the appearance of the tank. However, you are not supposed to and should not remove any metal for it will condemn the cylinder. Polishing removes metal; albeit a small amount. Aside from this the very real fact that you could end up with a very big liability if the tank goes K-boom.

For example:
I wanted shot blast finish on my Luxfer bailout cylinders. They weren't made for several years by Luxfer. I was tipped off to where some were located. They were going to be a bit spendy to ship. So, I called Luxfer and talked to them about getting a normal brushed finish pair sent for shot blasting. I was advised very strongly against doing that. Each particular tank with its finish has a specific tolerance when made. The shot blast finish are slightly thicker to begin with to accomodate the shot blast technique because it removes metal. For the end user to remove metal after the cylinder leaves the factory will condemn the cylinder.

I later learned more about cylinders, safety, and in particular removing metal, from the PSI Cylinder Inspector course. I'd highly recommend it if you can take it. You'll learn the facts and be able to weed out the myths.

The other thing is coatings stink. They don't last long. They get chipped and scratched. They typically end up causing more problems down the road when the water gets behind the coating, unknown to you, and rusts away the metal. Go with a bare cylinder. It's the "in" thing. :)

If you want steel, get the hot dipped cylinders.

Dark Wolf:

Has anyone ever polished an alum. tank. I did a search and found a lot of threads on stripping and painting, but nothing on polishing a stripped tank.

Just curious, thanks for any help. Oh, and by the way, the method used would be elbow-grease. No power tools.

You probably won't be happy with the results after a few dives. I have painted tanks, coated tanks, brushed aluminum, and shot blast. Shot blast is by far the best looking finish over time.

Dark Wolf:

I've got a tank that looks like someone at some point and time used a power tool to try to polish. I found this after I stripped off the paint. It left weird swirl marks in the aluminum finish.

To see pics of what it looked like, see this thread:

Recent Stripper pics
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=147078

Want your tanks to shine? see this thread:

Cleaning Tanks
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145726

Well, sounds like polishing is a bad idea. I think that I will take the advice and just leave it be.

Many thanks to all of you who posted and took the time to answer a "FNG's" question. I appreciate it.

Dark Wolf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom