Police diving student fatality - India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Wikipedia and Google maps give entierly different locations for Bhatkal, but they both place Netrani island offshore in the Arabian Sea.

This version mentions that the state was paying for the training: $182 USD
SahilOnline : detail news :: Policeman dies during scuba diving training in Bhatkal
Bhatkal: Scuba Diving training turned fatal for a policeman who died during its training session near the Nitrani island in Bhatkal on Thursday afternoon. Even though the trainee wore the scuba equipment, he swallowed a lot of sea water resulting in his death. The deceased is identified as Bhaskar Kulal (34) of the Coastal Secuirity Police hailing from Malpe, Udupi district.

According to sources, the state government had started five day scuba diving training camp for interested civil police personnel bearing the expenditure of 10,000 Rupees per each trainee. 10 Policemen had appeared for training which had begun from 24th of February.

The body has been taken to Murdeshwar government hospital for postmortem after which it will be handed over to the deceased's relatives.

This lengthy articles includes several pics from the funeral and seem to want to blame the English Instructor...
Kundapur: Policeman Dies during Scuba Diving Training at Murdeshwar
Kundapur / Bhatkal, 02 Mar 2013: In a tragic incident, a policeman hailing from Kundapur lost his life during scuba diving training camp near Pigeon Island, Murdeshwar on Thursday February 28 afternoon.

The deceased has been identified as thirty-four-year-old Bhaskar Kulal, son of Nagu and Parvati Kulal, residents of Kasamakki, Yadady - Matyady, Kundapur.

Bhaskar was earlier serving in Bangalore and had been transferred to Malpe coastal security over a year ago.

The scuba diving training camp was conducted by a Bangalore-based company called Padi for interested policemen, under the directions of five trainers. Over the past five days, ten persons have undergone the training, while Bhaskar was one among them. It is learned that despite being ill for the past two days, Bhaskar was undergoing the training on the insistence of trainer Andy from London.

On Thursday at around 3.00pm to 3.30pm, Bhaskar who was ill lowered himself into the water with scuba diving gear and oxygen mask. He stayed under water at a depth of about 15 meters. However, he soon felt nauseous and the oxygen regulator slipped from his mouth. As a result, the sea water gushed into his lungs and he drowned.

The body of Bhaskar was taken to Murdeshwar government hospital for autopsy after which it was handed over to his family in Kundapur.

Manjesh, another policeman who also underwent the training, said that the training sessions were extremely strenuous and Andy had told them that they should learn scuba diving within five days. ‘It’s difficult for those who don’t know swimming. Despite pleas to halt the training session as the sea was rough, Andy did not listen, said Manjesh, alleging that Andy’s negligence and apathy had led to Bhaskar’s death.

Wikipedia and Google maps give entierly different locations for Bhatkal, but they both place Netrani island offshore in the Arabian Sea.

This version mentions that the state was paying for the training: $182 USD
SahilOnline : detail news :: Policeman dies during scuba diving training in Bhatkal

This lengthy articles includes several pics from the funeral and seem to want to blame the English Instructor...
Kundapur: Policeman Dies during Scuba Diving Training at Murdeshwar

At least in this writeup there is a lesson to take: don't dive when you're feeling ill.

'had told them that they should learn scuba diving within five days. ‘It’s difficult for those who don’t know swimming.'

... or don't take SCUBA lessons unless you can swim?

Further on to this article there was another newspaper release which is much more decent
Anti-terror training goes awry: Commando drowns near Bhatkal, News - Cover Story - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

I too have been trained by Andrew N Stonebridge and very recently got certified by him for my first PADI Open Waters and though my age is 51 years, he did make me do all the skills and whichever I could not do in one go he made me do it till he was fully satisfied that I learnt those skills - some of which were tough for me but I had to do it so I get qualified - I still wonder how such a accident has happened and regret such thing should not have happened. Anybody looking for Wikimapia/Google has to search for Murudeshwara and go about 20 Kms to west to get this heart shaped small island Netrani and a small pegion island are the labels.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2013 at 05:18 PM ----------

Dear Hatul,

The Diving Training spot is Netrani Island - West of Murudeshawar Town (which has a big Temple - Piligrm place) and the whole area is in Revenue District of Bhatkal which is in Karnataka State of India. I did my PADI Open Water Certification on January 25-27th 2013 out there. Great Place for my First Dive of 12m

I find it hard to believe the instructor forced the deceased to dive even when he was ill.

When the inquest results are in - we'll probably have a better idea of what occurred. What I don't get is diving solo? (newbie) and if they will perform an autopsy. Middle-aged guys.....

Back
Top Bottom