Polar Bear dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there checking out some new gear on Sunday, and damn....It is cold. It seems colder everytime I go there.

heck, even in the middle of summer, below the thermocline @ 25 feet, the temp must have been in the 50's...and now with the whole lake @ 50 degrees...WHEW!!!! I couldn't imagine diving there again until at least the top layer is reasonably warm, give's one a place to defrost at least!

Here we are in Texass with temps up above 80 most of the year and I hear all these swampers talking knowledgably about Drysuits, Beenies & Hoods. Heck before CSSP opened I thought my 3mm was cold water protection.

Viz was terrible posidon, and no fish this time and did I mention it was cold?

You guys are joking aren't you. 50 degree water wont even get your beer cold enough! I was thinking that it would be nice to go somewhere with 50 degree water for a winter vacation.
Have fun though,

So you think that 50 degree water is cold humm, yeah right!! In the true spirit of the Polar Bear New Years Day dive the water has to be atleast below 35 degrees to even be consider a Polar Bear dive.

I did a dive in the mighty St. Lawrence River ( 5/7mm suit plus a 3mm hooded vest) on Monday the surface temp a wonderful 33 degrees. Now, to show you how to do it right. after the dive I'll post some pics of the dive, the hot tub and I can't forget the chili.

Might I suggest that you come to Canada next year so you can experience the true "tingling sensation" that only a true Polar Bear Dive will give you.

Cheers :whoa:

How about exporting some of that 50F water this way? I was in last weekend and will be diving Jan 1 in The Big Chill Last years water temp was 34F. For the technically minded, we had 52 divers in the water and not a single free flow. Proper regs (and maintenance) are key.

How did we not see this coming? We all knew this would happen...LMAO!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom