Pockets for Tech Skin...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. The consensus among Fusion Tech Skin owners (see the thread in the Exposure Suits forum) is that we'd all be happier with different pockets.

I'm considering experimenting with attaching pockets to it. I understand that the Whites folks tried a variety of pockets, and only the ones that are available worked. Perhaps you could explain what issues you found with different types of pocket, so I can avoid repeating the same mistakes?

Thanks.

Hi. The consensus among Fusion Tech Skin owners (see the thread in the Exposure Suits forum) is that we'd all be happier with different pockets.

I'm considering experimenting with attaching pockets to it. I understand that the Whites folks tried a variety of pockets, and only the ones that are available worked. Perhaps you could explain what issues you found with different types of pocket, so I can avoid repeating the same mistakes?

Thanks.

I've now dived the Fusion suit with Tech skin about a dozen times. I wear XS Scubas 7mil "Heat" gloves, and I carry the Diverite wet notes in the left pocket with a spare mask on top of that. Right pocket contains a spool and my car key, each clipped with double end snaps individually to the bungee line I installed inside and through the "bungee holes" on the top of the pocket. Now, I have NEVER had the neoprene gloves stick to the velcro on the pockets. I did have to figure a method and then practice extracting the wetnotes, and then slide them back underneath the spare mask when finished, but no problem. Extracting the mask is easy, and probably would not need to be restored to pocket as you obviously lost your primary mask. But as a drill, I had no trouble sliding it back into the pocket on top of the wetnotes. I think the pockets are plenty big, and i could put a lot more into the right pocket. The velcro at the wrist connecting the skin to the bilam is not exposed if it is installed correctly, thus not a sticky issue.
The Fusion is a great suit in so many ways. I highly recommend it.
Let me add, I am tough on my suit and it has performed flawlessly.

(As always...Thanks Mike! @ diverightinscuba.com)

All the best,
Geoff

****Post moved from thread about Fusion Suit to "pocket" thread.****

Last edited:
Where's this new thread about Fusion Suit Tech pockets???

My problem isn't my gloves sticking to the pockets. Its that I actually need to have a bit more stuff in my pockets: SMB, safety spool, spare mask, wet notes, and occasionally line markers. I really prefer one with compartments and metal d-rings.

What's icky about X-shorts? I have used them for diving wet for almost three years now, including all the way through Cavern, Intro and GUE Cave 1. And I use them over my Lycra skin on the Fusion, and they work great. They're comfortable, and the pockets are BIG and easily hold everything I want to put in them.

What's icky about X-shorts? I have used them for diving wet for almost three years now, including all the way through Cavern, Intro and GUE Cave 1. And I use them over my Lycra skin on the Fusion, and they work great. They're comfortable, and the pockets are BIG and easily hold everything I want to put in them.

Well, among other things, they're really ugly. (I know this is one issue with respect to whose importance you and I disagree.) For another, the pockets are just big pockets, not really great for carrying lots of junk. No compartments or anything, etc.

I actually use (if anything) the dive rite thigh pocket that clips around the thigh and has webbing to go up to the harness when I dive wet. But then again, when I dive wet I don't have to worry about carrying all my wreck stuff.

I bought a pair of neoprene water sports shorts and sewed a Halcyon pocket on them - shortly before I bought a Fusion and a tech skin.

I do have to say the Fusion pockets come up substanially short in terms of utility compared to the Halcyon pockets. A separate compartment for wet notes or tables would be nice as would a zippered compartment on the flap for small items, a signal mirror etc.

My major complaint with the pockets are that the flap more or less disappears after it is open and is hard to locate and reclose with thick gloves on. A slightly stiffer flap material would help. Also the grommets for bungee cords would be more effective if they were located in the side panel of the pocket rather than on the front panel of the pocket.

I do think the ease of getting things back in the pockets will be improved if I perform a tummy tuck on the tech skin to shorten it by about 4 inches in the torso to allow a bit less stretch.

I can't help but notice the absence of a response from Whites to my original question. Sigh...

Thanks.

Thank you for all of your input with regards to the Fusion pockets.

Coming up with a system that meets everyone's needs has been very difficult, if not impossible. The biggest issue deals with stretch and being streamlined (which is the whole point of the suit). I have personally dove the suit in a variety of configurations - any time you add anything to the suit that does not stretch like the neoprene - you immediately lose stretch. Whether that is the pocket material, the thread, knee pads - whatever you add - it has to have stretch and it has to be streamlined.

Hope that helps!

Until the next dive,
Tyler

Back
Top Bottom