Pockets and bungees/D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My drysuit came with bellows pockets with 4 grommets (2 on the bottom for draining, 2 on each top side). What's the best way to install bungee loops and/or D-rings? One big loop across both grommets? One bungee on each grommet? And how large should the bungee loops be?

Thanks all.

My drysuit came with bellows pockets with 4 grommets (2 on the bottom for draining, 2 on each top side). What's the best way to install bungee loops and/or D-rings?
You don't want bungee loops or D-rings for this - just regular old heavy-duty nylon cord will be best. You want one loop on each side, and the loop needs to be large/long enough to extend to the bottom of the pocket on the inside.

For my pocket loops, I just took a long piece of cord, and tied a Figure Eight on a Bight (leaving a large enough loop as described above):

I then pushed the doubled working end of the rope (bottom of the rightmost picture above) through the upper grommet and from the inside of the pocket, and tied a "stopper" knot on the outside, as close to the material as I could. I also melted the cut ends of the rope into the stopper knot to keep it from unraveling (be careful with this step!). The double knot (with grommet and fabric sandwiched between the knots) keeps the loop secure in the pocket.

DIR-Atlanta,

That's awesome, thanks for the detail you put into the explanation!

Getting a bit into nits, does it matter at all *which* upper grommet you attach the cord to? The grommet closest to your back (dorsal), so the loop hangs down, or the front grommet (the lower one when you're horizontal)?

DIR-Atlanta,

That's awesome, thanks for the detail you put into the explanation!

Getting a bit into nits, does it matter at all *which* upper grommet you attach the cord to? The grommet closest to your back (dorsal), so the loop hangs down, or the front grommet (the lower one when you're horizontal)?

I used both

Getting a bit into nits, does it matter at all *which* upper grommet you attach the cord to?
Like LiteHedded, I used both grommets, so I have two loops per pocket. This is similar to how the Halcyon pockets are configured (except theirs come with the loops pre-installed). Note also that if you have a DUI pocket with an internal D-ring, then you want to cut the D-ring out.

Note also that if you have a DUI pocket with an internal D-ring, then you want to cut the D-ring out.

I have DUI pockets but I haven't found that the D-rings get in the way. Does cutting them out fall under the general "don't need it, don't bring it" rule? Or is there something bigger that I'm missing?

I've been trying a different configuration of bellows pocket loops lately, which is small loops (only about 1.5 inch in diameter or so) on both grommets, where the loop is formed by passing the bungee through once, looping it and passing it through again, then making half a fisherman's knot on each side and tightening it up. The tight loops are easier to find with thick gloves on and the knot is fixed so it never gets in your way.

I use one loop of the thicker bungie long enough to reach the bottom of the pocket tied into the forward-most grommet. Mine has a inner pocket for wetnotes and I clip my car key to the internal D-ring and slide it behind the wetnotes. I've found bungie is easier to clip to.

I clip my car key to the internal D-ring and slide it behind the wetnotes.
I don't like having the car keys in the same pocket as other stuff that I will be fishing in and out during the dive - I'm always afraid I will accidentally unclip and lose them. I've always clipped my car keys on the pull handle of the zipper on my TLS 350. During the dive, it stays protected inside the outer covering, and then when I get back to the car, all I have to do is open the outer zipper a tad and flop the car keys out. They are at just about the right height to unlock the door without me having to bend over. :wink: Note that I have the "old style" zipper, which closes from shoulder to hip.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom